SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

First Bloom of the Season

newyorkrita
13 years ago

And here it is. One of the extra early daylilies I bought from Olallie Daylilies in Vermont when I started my season extending kick two years ago. They thought so much of it when they started selling it that they couldn't even bother giving it a name (being very sarcastic here). Ladies and gentlemen, let me show you- (big drumroll)- VT EB 40-9-01.

I had planted a bunch of these Olallie extra earlies, they did squat. So I decided I had them in a bad spot. Very early this spring I moved them out to a new bed in the front yard in full sun and near no trees. The same ones are rewarding me with scapes that bloomed last year, so far nothing on the other moved ones.

I have scapes on SKIPPY, VERNAL TUTONE and FOREVER STELLA. In fact the plants are loaded with scapes so there should be lots of bloom.

I also have a scape on MOUNT ARRARAT my new 2010 intro from Karol. It came that way this spring. My other to show a scape is another Emmerich, BE FRUITFULL AND MULTIPLY. One of those leftover from last fall type scapes. Other than these of all my hundreds of daylilies no scapes anywhere. This would not be unusual as it is way too early here for scapes as I learned from years past.

I can't wait until the main beds show scapes :-))

{{gwi:289724}}

{{gwi:624454}}

Meanwhile the lupines and tall bearded iris are supplying lots of bloom color around here.

Comments (18)