SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Ok, here are my choices...

thisismelissa
12 years ago

I went window shopping yesterday and found several conifers I like that will be replacing the Black Hills on the right. The one on the left is going to be removed all together as this particular spot doesn't get enough sun to support a conifer. About the site: Pretty much all-day sun, slightly clay-y soil, decent watering (every-other day from irrigation system), very exposed to winter winds and several snowstorms of 10+" of snow. Usually there's 2-3 feet of snow on the ground for most of the winter.

The bed is about 15' wide and we'd like it to stay contained in the bed for at least 10-15 years. If we have to expand the bed then, it'll be ok, since kids will be older/gone.

My main vantage point will be from my deck, where this pic is taken from, and the tree will have some large lilacs and my neighbor's Colorado Blue Spruce as backdrops.

Here's what I found yesterday that I like...Could you offer your opinions about how it might do in that spot in my my z4a garden?

Abies concolor 'Compacta'

Abies koreana 'Hostman's Silberlocke' (fell in love w/ this on a tour last year)

Abies koreana 'Aurea'

Albies lasiocarpa 'Glauca Compacta'

Pinus aristata 'Formal Form'

Pinus strobus 'Louie'

Pinus sylvestris 'Aurea' (too wide?)

Picea pungens 'Hoopsii'

Picea pungens 'Baby Blue Eyes'

Picea pungens 'Sesters Dwarf'

Picea pungens 'Tomsen'

Norway Spruce Cupressina

And a few deciduous options (I'd go with a red or gold maple if it weren't in a perennial bed):

Crimson Point Plum

Purple Leaf Sandcherry (tree form)

Canada Red Chokeberry

Royal Frost Birch

Now, on the off chance I decide to replace the left spruce with something, what's your opinion of an upright Japanese Yew. It should handle shade better than a conifer, right? Do they need to be sheared to keep their pyramidal shape?

Comments (11)