SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimlyn19

Newbie Here

aimlyn19
16 years ago

Hi All!

I've been lurking for a few weeks here and thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Amy and I'm totally addicted to Daylilies!

My firt experience with them was not good - a friend divided hers and gave them to me at my first house, they died relatively quickly as I wasn't into gardening and didn't put any effort into knowing how to take care of them. (Hiding my head in utter shame).

Then I was fortunate enough to move into a home where the previous owner had several different "colors" of daylilies growing in the landscaped back yard. It was then that I fell for them. We took care of them for a few years - or I should properly say that they took care of themselves, we did the very basics of keeping the weeds out and cutting them back in the fall. After a few years we found out we were moving out of state. I didn't want to leave them behind, but couldn't take out what was there - we'd be leaving huge bare areas. So a few days before we moved I went around and took out small clumps of them from all different sections to ensure that I had some of each color, put them in wet newspaper in bins and off we went to yet another house.

They stayed in newspapers for at least two weeks in the garage and after planting them outside by some act of God they survived and have thrived over the two years we've had them planted here. The only quirky thing was they all came out orange!! I made sure to take them from all different spots, I have no idea what happened! I call them my NY transfer daylilies now and I still consider them my babies.

So ... now I've finally dug up and made beds around some of my house this year and I've gone crazy with Daylilies! I've ordered from several different places and for the most part have been pleased with everything so far. I'm in the process of getting everything in the ground now as they come in the mail. I'm up to something like 25 different cultivars.

I have a question though ... when you order a grouping of daylilies, how many do you tend to order of one kind? I'm getting stuck on ordering three double fans of one and three double fans of another, et cetera, and I'm kind of upset that I didn't just hone in on a few I really liked and bought larger quantities of them instead of so many small groupings. Does that makes sense?

And if you can't tell by my post ... totally amateur daylily person and am learning as I go, kind of flying by the seat of my pants here!

Thanks for letting me introduce myself and blab away!!

Comments (18)