SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrumble

vines growing on evergreen tree

scrumble
16 years ago

I have a leafy vine growing on a number of my evergreen trees and I'm afraid they might be killing them. Anyone know what they are and what I should do?

Comments (30)

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

Go to the source where they are growing out of the ground. Cut off vine and spray stump with all purpose brush killer being careful not to get any on evergreens. Pull as much as you can off your evergreens. What you can't reach will shrivel up an die. Since the vines cannot support themselves they use your evergreens as a host plant to grow on.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

or just brush it on the severed vine ....

let the above part shrivel and lose its leaves before you pull it off... if there is resistance ... if it comes off easily ... go for it.. but don't harm the conifer in ripping it off ....

please ID the vine .. as it MIGHT be poison ivy ...

good luck

ken

• schmoo
    16 years ago

Any thought it may not be hurting the tree??? If you don't want the vine, remove as above. May be good to ID the vine before/if you remove it. Picture??

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

I never thought how cool a conifer would look with a vine taking over its character. I think I will go and dig up a couple and grow them on my conifers. Send a photo I might want to use that one on my conifers. LOL.

Maybe I will go and buy several Thuja 'Green Giants.' Growing vines on them could possibly resolve most of the problems people seem to be having growing this conifer.

Dave

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Two of the more common tree climbing vines around here are grapes and poison ivy. You may want to ID it before you start grabbing it =).

tj

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

If conifers large enough to serve as backdrop and support for climber then can get quite a nice effect. Vines must not be too dense and vigorous for the particular conifer specimen serving as host, and there should be some color feature they produce that is enhanced by the coloring of the conifer for there to seem to be much point in it. Example would be a rose with white flowers that jump out when seen against dark green conifer foliage, or a deciduous vine with pinkish or orange fall color spread out over a bluish conifer.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

I've always thought that broadleaf plants climbing through conifers don't look good. But maybe I'm biased.

Also conifer foliage is very easily shaded out and killed by climbers; if the climber dies or is removed, you're left with a large bare dead patch in the conifer. This seems to be less of a problem with broadleaf trees.

Resin

• scrumble
    Original Author
    16 years ago

how do I add a photo? I took some pictures and actually have 2 different vines on different trees growing.

• scrumble
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pictures hopefully included #1

Here is a link that might be useful: mysterious vine #1

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"Pictures hopefully included #1"

Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) in a Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris).

Resin

• scrumble
    Original Author
    16 years ago

this is a different vine!

Here is a link that might be useful: vine #2

• scrumble
    Original Author
    16 years ago

this is vine #2 but you can see its practically taken over the tree

Here is a link that might be useful: overtaking the tree

• pineresin
    16 years ago

#2 is a species of Vitis (wild grape), not sure which one. The tree it is on is a Blue Spruce (Picea pungens).

Resin

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Yes, the grape or grape-like climber in the second picture is too big and thick for the conifer and should be removed.

• brickman
    16 years ago

It seems like you could purposely plant one of these things on a recently deceased conifer and still get to keep the tree !!!

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"It seems like you could purposely plant one of these things on a recently deceased conifer and still get to keep the tree !!!"

It's been done! The problem is that the roots of the dead tree rot away in a few years, and then the whole lot comes crashing down.

Resin

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Earlier I suspected the "grape" was an Ampelopsis, looking later at mine - which is also growing on a blue conifer - it appeared to be the same. Its turquoise fruits are great against the cypress foliage, but it has started to bunch up and get too thick in one spot. Some "editing" is now called for. I will probably just get out a ladder some time during the winter and cut that part of it away, leave the rest.

• spruceman
    16 years ago

I would remove all vines from all conifers. At times the effect may seem nice, for a while, but the vines will be difficult to control/manage in a way that will keep them from damaging and eventually smothering the conifer. At the very least they will kill or seriously weaken any foliage on whatever branch they are growing on.

--Spruce

16 years ago

the grape will take over the conifer and shade it out.... causing its decline ...

conifers are full sun plants.. for the most part ...

and grapes are highly aggressive .... and will cover them.. not to mention the seeds it produces ....

i would crawl under.. sever it about 1 inch from the ground.. and then brush the stump with stump killer.. 100% roundup or credit.. or any such thing ...

personally i would do the same with the creeper ... i have millions of seedlings all over the yard.. i presume i have the birds to thanks for that ...

if the vine is small enough.. you may be able to just pull it out of the ground..

as noted above... if it doesnt come out easily .. wait until the leaves brown.. and the tendrils release.. and then it might pull out easier ... dont harm the conifer..

good luck

ken

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Climbers have been used on conifers to great effect for years. Same as with festooning a broad-leaved tree or a trellis with a vine, or doing anything else that isn't tombstone planting (everything spaced out like headstones and kept completely apart, often with "maintenance shearing"), vigor and potential size has to be considered initially, and some selective pruning can be expected to be necessary to keep them playing well together.

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

This post was answered by the 2nd reply. Ken came back again to reinforce what he previously said. Spruceman gave good counsel also.

I personally believe vines have their place in 5the garden but I would never entertain the thought of growing them on conifers. Just my opinion. If you like vines on conifers, trees or whatever go for it.

I have posted several photos to show the damage of vine infested conifers

Dave
    Vine partially removed to show damage
    {{gwi:769496}}

Under this thick vine foliage are dead conifer limbs.
    {{gwi:769499}}

16 years ago

great pix dave.. once the vine shaded the branches.. the growth tips failed.. and on conifers.. once ALL BROWN OR BARE.. they do NOT reflush ... for the most part ...

ken

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

That's why I now, after several years will be cutting part of my porcelain berry away where it has become too thick. Interesting planting effects require upkeep. Many yards are boring because property owners are terrified of doing anything resembling gardening ("yard work"). Neat plants get planted and then torn out later because they dropped leaves or grew more than 5 ft. tall. Laying down a law like "never plant vines on conifers" assures that a certain level of accomplishment will never be risen above.

• wisconsitom
    16 years ago

One conifer in your yard, with a vine growing in it in a manner that is pleasing and maintainable......I can see where that'd be cool. But I side with Spruceman and others when it comes to larger plantings, group of conifers, forest plots etc. I would never allow vines to become established in any of these situations. I have both Virginia creeper and grape on my property. These are periodically removed from some spruce and arbs. Were I not to do this, the trees would be ruined in short order.

+oM

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

bboy. The fact that I will never plant vines on conifers was just my opinion and only applies to me. If you remember I said "If you like vines on conifers, trees or what ever go for it." That applies to you and everyone else who chooses to do that. I could care less.

The fact that I don't engage in this practice, in my opinion, will never stop me from accomplishing the goals I have set before me. Obviously we don't think the same so don't put me in a box that can only accomplish so much just because you grow vines on conifers and I don't.

Grow your vines and be happy. It would be nice if you would send us a photo so we could see what can be accomplished with vines on conifers that is pleasing to the eye.

Dave

16 years ago

hey!!! they posted this in the CONIFER forum .. did you really expect us to choose the vine over the conifer??? ... lol ...

i have seen clematis in trees ... i think its sacrilege frankly ....

the vines mentioned above ... are WILD ...

perhaps you would get another perspective if you were to post at the vine forum .. if there is one.. lol ... but i doubt they would tell you to plant the invasive wild vines ...

ken

• cascadians
    16 years ago

I have a young redbud, which is supposed to be an understory tree, planted near east fence where it gets too much sun, but has trees planted around it which in a few years WILL make the redbud an understory tree :-)

A clematis that is using the fence has spread and is climbing up the redbud. I'm glad because the poor tree needs more shade. If the clematis growing in the redbud gets too thick in a couple years I'll prune the vine back. It's flowering now and looks good.

When I first moved here in 1984 I lived for 2 decades as a 24/7 caregiver on lots of old huge estates where there were plethora of plantings, mature, all jumbled together in lush exotic beauty. And these estates, several acres each, employed nearly full-time gardeners that kept things in balance in a sort of controlled overgrowth that looked like a well-manicured jungle. That's what I'm aiming for and even though it is a lot of work it's pleasurable work (if it isn't too hot outside).

I believe man is created with the spark of God's ideal for beauty, stewardship and creativity and if one is fortunate enough to own land, one owes it to oneself, his Maker and fellow man to create the most beautiful spot on the planet as possible.

• entling
    16 years ago

Ken - your comment about clematis on evergreens as sacrilege gave me a giggle! The folks on the Clematis forum would not agree. I have been debating whether to do the clematis in a blue spruce thing. Because the tree has been topped by the power company's tree deformers (I didn't plant it, it came with the house), I figure a carefully maintained clem wouldn't make it any worse. ;-)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

>It would be nice if you would send us a photo so we could see what can be accomplished with vines on conifers that is pleasing to the eyeNot an obscure practice. Try looking at some gardening books and magazines, if sincerely interested.

• dcsteg
    16 years ago

bboy I just figured if you could talk the talk you could walk the walk. I thought you had something to show. Quote: "Thats why now after several years, I will be cutting part of my porcelain berry away where it has become to thick." I just figured you had a vine on a conifer we could all see. Sending a photo is not an obscure practice either. Try it sometime.

I equate growing a vine on a conifer to putting a Volkswagen hood on Lincoln. The two were never meant for each other. There is always someone who will try it. If they are happy with the look that's all that matters. That's the bottom line.

Dave

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH