SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaottercove

Your favourite reciepes?

SeaOtterCove
18 years ago

Things have been a little slow on the list lately. I thought it might be fun for people to post their favourite recipes for people to try throughout the winter. Here are a few of mine. (Actually I have lots, we'll see how much typing I want to do.)

Colon Scrubber - Bread

(that is the name the friend who gave me the recipe called it. :) )

4 cups whole wheat flour

2 cups white flour

1 cup red river cereal

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 1/2 tsp. salt

2 1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 litre buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl, pour in buttermilk and mix lightly. Divide between three greased bread pans and bake at 400F for about 45 min. or until done. Great with soups, stews and spaghetti. You can also freeze what you don't use right away, I don't know how long it keeps in the freezer as we usually eat it fairly quick.

Tortiere - French Canadian meat pie

1 pound of ground pork

1 large onion finely minced

1 clove of garlic

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. cloves

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup water

Double pie crust

Brown the pork and onions until cooked. Then add seasonings and water, simmer for 1/2 hour with lid off. Then place in a regular double pie crust. Bake for 1/2 hour or until the crust is done at 350F. Goes good with ketchup. We usually have this with salad and fries. You can also just make it until it is in the crust and then freeze, or you can make individual ones which are great for lunches, it is good cold as well.

Strawberry Cheese Cake - Warning high in calories and expensive to make!

Crust

1 cup of vanilla crumbs i.e. Nilla wafers

1/2 cup of toasted chopped almonds

1/4 cup melted butter

Mix and press into 9" pan. Then press sliced strawberries around sides and bottom.

Filling

12oz. white chocolate (2 pkg.) chop and melt in double boiler, cool slightly

4 oz. cream cheese

1/4 cup frozen orange juice (whatever you drink)

1/4 cup white sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups whipping cream

Beat cream cheese and sugar, add orange juice and vanilla, slowly beat in white chocolate.

Whip cream, stir 1/3 of whipping cream into chocolate mixture. Fold in remainder of whipping cream until fluffy. Pour over crust/berries. I like to put some strawberries on top for decoration. Refrigerate for three hours to set. Slice "very" small pieces to serve. You feel the pounds going on your hips with this one. :)

If people like this idea I have lots more really good ones to share. I have a great rhubarb square recipe. Lets see what other people have lurking in their recipe books!

Syreeta

Comments (30)