SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jorginho_gw

Fantastic season over here in NL (long, sorry)!!

jorginho
11 years ago

I know in the US it is heat and drought that dictate the season inthe central part (a large, central part that is).

I saw some spots in Colorado and Georgia being severely dehydrated. Good luck to you guys over there,

I hope your plants will survive and also that not too many people get killed by the heat!

Over here, it is quite the contrary. The season is reasonably cool and rainfall is better than in last years.

Although july last year was pretty wet too (8 inches) and the summer gave locally 17 inches of rain.

But not over here, here summer was quite normal in total. But it was good for the most demanding conifers we have over here when it comes to rain: sitka spruce and hemlock. They really grew very well.

Now, it is much wetter over here and all trees seem to benefit, as the mixed broadleave/coniferous

forests I visist resemble a rainforest. At least they were 2-3 weeks ago. Everything has grown well over a size I am used to this stage of the season, rivalling the growth of a

whole growing season actually. It is extremely lush.

Normally, june, july and august give us about 220 mm (9 inches) of rain. Midway, we alread have over 260 mm (10 inches). And with the lack of sun and somewhat lower temperatures less evaporates aswell. temperatures normally reach 22- 24 C as a max and 11-12 C at night. Now, daytime temperatures are mostly 15-19 C. Also: april and may were

somewhat wetter than normal.

The conifers are the easiest to spot the new growth, spruces especially because of the clear leader they develop. Norway spruces, many of them,

have already put on 60 cm to 1 meter (2-3 feet). We are talking about juveniles of only 10-15 feet.

Douglas Fir: same story. Serbian spruce, Sitka spruce etcetc show the same, rapid growth. They are deepgreen.

That is all in my city or within a 300 m radius of my house more specifically

In the woods, even youngsters of 30 cm put on more than that already. Some are now 70-80 cm (from 1 to almost 3 feet)high. And they are not even positioned in the best place (most are in the shade of hardwood trees). And that was 2 weeks ago. I wonder how much they have grown in the meanwhile...

Today, we have another 4 mm already (it is morning) and 10-20 mm is expected, so that makes 25 mm again

(another inch).

Finally: The Netherlands is becoming wetter. This year is anomalous, but a few days ago a new report of the KNMI

showed that winter AND summer are getting much wetter (no surprise) and faster than any model predicted (that is a

surprise, but not to me: already saw that). This might compensate for the continuing warming we also experience I think. To a point.

The lack of acid rain, compared to the 80s already

gives way to much healthier conifers over here. If we continue this way and there is no reason why ti shouldn't, we are heading for 50-60 inches of rain at the end of the century. Where it used to be 30 inches.

Again: I hope te intense heat will abate for all the people in the central US. And that nature won't be damaged too

much.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!