SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missylin_gw

What to put with daylilies in Florida

missylin
13 years ago

HI! I'm putting in a new daylily bed (daylilies going in are blue eyed butterfly, Emerald Splendor and Glory Bright (yellows), It's a Miracle (I thought it was pink, but it's peachy), and Song in my Heart (sort of a rosy pink with a greenish yellow throat), and Flower shop, a pink. I'm trying to decide what plants to put in with the daylilies. I live in east central Florida where it's hot, hot, hot. Too late for petunias, pansies, and pretty soon it will be too hot and humid for geraniums. I had thought of ruella (I think that's what it's called)(a low growing plant with pretty purple flowers, but they spread (and can pop up anywhere), and I don't know if that would be good or not. A local nursery suggested Agapanthas (Lily of the Nile) but those are shaped a lot like the daylilies, and I thought maybe another shape would be better. But I can get those for free from my mom. Ideas? The bed will be pretty full just with the dls so no room for anything big. If it weren't for the roots, I'd try a gardenia (though I've not had much luck with them) but I don't want anything that's going to eventually make it hard to dig in there. Thanks so much for any suggestions. Native plants would be fine, too, but I don't know fo any that would work. The bed is about 150 sq. feet and I'm starting with about 14 daylilies. Thanks so much!

Comments (6)