SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vapa11

Help! Is this normal for a Blue Spruce?

10 years ago

WARNING!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS with Oregon Grown Nurseries LLC

This seller offered me a full refund for the poor examples of trees shown below, but upon return of the plants, the seller stopped responding to communications, kept the plants AND kept my money!!!

Seller info:

Oregon Grown Nursuries LLC
www.Japanesemaplesandevergreens.com
Email: oregrongrownnurseries@yahoo.com
Located in Vancouver, WA

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Post:

I just bought the two Fat Albert blue spruce trees pictured below over the internet and was surprised at how they looked when they arrived. One tree looks like it has a severe case of scoliosis and the other, while to me seems better, is still not as straight or evenly proportioned as I would have expected (the "branch" at the top is larger and heavier than the more upright/staked part of the tree). These are obviously young, grafted trees, but I figured they would have been a little more, I'll say, blue spruce-like in appearance.

Are my expectations unreasonable or is there something wrong with them? Can/should I do anything to help facilitate straight and healthy growth other than plant them in a bigger pot, water them, and make sure they get the right amount of sun (prune, stake, etc.)? Should I give up on these and buy a better example from another nursery?

For what it's worth, I looked, but could not find an example of what a blue spruce should look like until 3 or 4 years old. I can only assume these are much younger.

Thanks in advance for helping someone who hasn't planted or grown anything in over 20 years.

This post was edited by vapa11 on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 20:37

Comments (11)