SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

OT...but you all know something about everything....

ademink
12 years ago

Since you all seem to be the most knowledgeable bunch on a variety of topics and I see many of you post on other forums here...I have brought my burning question to you. :)

Here in Indianapolis, there are various historic areas. This year in particular I have noticed something very interesting. The houses that are sited in the historic districts closest to downtown (late 1800s- early 1900s in origin) have some very unusual plants/trees.

In particular, I noticed this spring that there were several (abandoned) old homes with HUGE mature tree peonies in the yards. These things were easily 6' tall and huge in girth.

There is another house I have driven (flown lol) past many times that has what I thought were the world's biggest lombardy poplars in the front yard. I marveled at how old they must be, even for LPs, at that size....today I realized they are columnar oaks. They are HUGE...I mean truly gigantic.

So my question is: Where did they come from and how did they get here?

I recognize that tree peonies have been the emperors blah blah blah for a bazillion years or something....but how on earth did these plants and trees find their way to someone's house MANY many years ago when they were not in nurseries and garden centers (not sure they even had them back then), etc.

Does my question make sense? Did folks just travel overseas, find stuff, stick it in a bag and bring it home and plant it?

Just wondering if anyone can shed insight on this mystery. I find it truly fascinating.

Thanks!

Andrea

Comments (18)