SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carldusky

mugo pines deteriation

carldusky
17 years ago

I am mystified.I have 9 mugo pines planted around my corner lot that are 4 to 6 years old.They have always thrived since I planted them until this spring wheras 6 of them have become scraggly as a result of losing their needles on the lower portions of their branches. A couple of the higher ones are starting to look like Arizona cactus.These pines have heretofore always looked plenty green and bushy with no signs of disease or whatever. Most of them have remained around a foot or so high, choosing to branch (spread) out laterally a little instead.I cannot surmise what is happening to them after these 4 to 6 years unless perhaps the reasonably mild past winter has something to do with it. Or can it be that this might be a normal part of their life cycle. They were not expensive when I bought them from Lowe's and Home Depot and they were all identified as mugho or mugo pine (pinus mugo) with one called drawf mugo pine pinus mugo pumilio.I would appreciate any suggestions that might help return these pines to their former healthy looks.

Comments (19)