SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

A Touch of the Tropics

Something new and fun to chat about! Do you guys like to plant tropical looking plants in your Cottage Gardens? Or do you think it ruins the effect you are trying to go with? My garden isn't stylized in any particular way, so I don't mind adding a few tropical pops for impact. If I had the space I wouldn't mind having a nook specifically for designing a "Tropical-esque" garden.

What are some of your favorite exotic looking annuals? I've just started to get into annuals, so haven't grown a great many. Would love to hear your favs. Coleus look a bit so to me, if paired with the right companions. A lovely lady on GW traded some coleus cuttings for my seeds and I am itching to try doing some container plantings with them.

Cannas are great tropical looking plants. I got a 'Tropicanna' last year at Lowes for $2. Didn't grow very much, but maybe this year it will. Loved the boldness of the foliage here...

{{gwi:658047}}

Last year I did a pot that looked tropical (to me at least) with Lemongrass and blue/purple Streptocarpella saxorum in a rounded terra cotta pot from Vietnam.

How about perennials? What hardy perennials remind you of something you would see in a tropical location?

One of the plants I have always thought looked exotic is my garden is Lonicera sempervirens, the trumpet honeysuckle with brightly colored tubular flowers.

My Heart's Tounge Fern (Asplenium scolopendrium) is farily hardy here and looks just like it's relative the Birds Nest Fern with broad fronds.

I have a giant rhubarb plant out back that I keep thinking would (in the right setting) be tropicalesque, what with the broad, glossy foliage and red stems. The purely ornamental Rheum would be awesome too if I had space.

Crocosmia, Jack in the Pulpit, Kniphofia, Ligularias, Toad Lilies, Spiderwort, and the Persicarias with unusual foliage (Painters Palette, Red Dragon, etc) are some others too.

If you have any pictures feel free to include them!

Ps. Did you know there is actually a forum on GW that talks solely about this topic? It is even called the "Tropicalesque" forum (and here I thought I might have come up with this word myself, LOL!!). Here is a link: The Tropicalesque Forum

CMK

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living