SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floota

Around the garden in VA

floota
12 years ago

This crazy spring weather is beginning to concern me. Bloom is running nearly a month ahead of where it was at this time last year! I'm worried that the Regional tour date ( June 30) will find most of the blooms spent. Hot weather over the last part of March pushed the bloom season for spring bulbs into fast forward mode. The daffodils literally burned up and only a few varieties of late bloomers are left.

First are a few pics taken a week ago when there were still a few bulbs blooming:

{{gwi:690048}}

{{gwi:690056}}

I took this pic last week to show my neighbor's dogwood beginning to bloom - the local Dogwood Festival is scheduled the last weekend in April. Doubt there will be any dogwoods left by then!

Looking across the Blue Ridge last week:

{{gwi:690059}}

{{gwi:690062}}

Fast forward to today. I noticed the heucheras looked like they did last May - just strange.

{{gwi:690064}}

Here's entrance to garden:

{{gwi:690066}}

Out back, early spring clematis blooming and cinnamon fern fronds are unfolding.

{{gwi:690069}}r

Back yard today - daffodil foliage going down quickly - nothing blooming.

{{gwi:690071}}

Back fountain bed - haven't cut fountain on yet until the pollen dies down a bit.

{{gwi:690073}}

Tree peony 'Rimpoh' already in bloom - first bloom is almost always in early May.

{{gwi:690075}}

Heucherella 'Sweet Tea':

{{gwi:690077}}

Richard Greyfuss pretending to be submissive so I will feed him:

{{gwi:690079}}

And I'll close with a pic of daylily birdbath ( or it sorta looks like a dogwood too) after I'd just cleaned it. It only stays clean about 5 minutes with all the maple and tree crud that is flying around in the air!

No iris blooms yet but have seen a few scapes. Roses are showing buds too. What a crazy spring! Wonder if people will see daylilies blooming on any garden tours this year?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting