SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

brief trip report: Spruceman's garden and the VA State Arboretum

davidrt28 (zone 7)
11 years ago

About a month late in posting this. Spruceman was kind enough to let me take scions of his Abies forrestii, which I'm pretty sure is the real thing, and to show me around his large collection, ever expanding, of rare conifers. BTW Spruceman thanks for the tip about the VA tree nursery selling Larix kaempferi. I bought 10 for $35 including shipping, which is much less than they would have cost from Forestfarm. They sent a nice mix of sizes, and a few of them were small enough to serve as rootstocks next winter for Larix mastersiana. Since I'm probably not going to be able to root that with the equipment I have. (would need a real mist system) Sorry in advance for the size issues in the new and "improved" gardenweb.

Firstly, the main reason for my trip. You see this Abies forrestii has something of an olive drab color. IIRC Spruce said it always greens up in spring. My grafts onto A. firma - only my 3rd attempt at grafting - have turned a deep green already, so I can only hope this means they are starting to take. The scions were still almost completely dormant.

{{gwi:682947}}

Spruce's garden is definitely as he has described it: a hill in the middle of the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley. Not a warm microclimate by any means. But probably better than being on the true floor of the valley. Everywhere else I'd stopped that day didn't seem windy, but being in his garden was like being in a wind tunnel!

Here is one of his many many spruces. His screen ID is no joke folks, he is the spruceman! He has many cultivars and seed grown plants. Here is a P. orientalis:

{{gwi:682948}}

Was this the P. abies 'Pruhoniceanaâ that's one of your favorites?

{{gwi:682949}}

I liked this golden Chamaecyparis or Thuja but can't remember the name.

{{gwi:682950}}

Onto the relatively nearby VA state arboretum. Here's the grove of normal green Cunninghamias, which are oddly labeled by some markers as the cultivar Glauca, which they are not.

{{gwi:682951}}

Here's a huge Sciadopitys and a Cryptomeria:
{{gwi:682952}}

I like these odd plant tags/plaques, which presumably are supposed to be pushed out by the expanding bark:
{{gwi:682953}}

You can view the images directly to see the larger versions.

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 12:22

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting