SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Keep me out of those local nurseries

newyorkrita
15 years ago

Today was the first day that I hit the local Home Depot and Hicks, a great local nursery, this spring. Usually I am out much earlier but it has been a cold spring and I have been busy moving things. But needed some seeds, supplies and wanted to get started on buying plants so off I went.

Believe it or not, I buy a lot at Home Depot. Out local one has a very big garden department. Its especially good for common veggie plants like tomatoes and flats of common annuals like Marigolds. It may sound funny to say that Home Depot is a store I go to very often as guys might think of it as tools and such but I think of it as supplies and plants. Supplies being things like fertilizers and bug sprays, trash bags, hoses, bird seed, pots, edgers and the list goes on.

I bought most of my tomato plants in the one plant peat pots at HD, plus a new 100 foot hose as mine is only 75 feet and not long enough. Plus a new hose end sprayer, some pots, plastic edging, rat and ant bait (lots of mice and rats here because of being not far from LI Sound), trash bags and a flute of Marigolds, a pansy bowl (couldn't resist) and whatever else. Spent $250.00 dollars. Ouch.

Then stop at Hicks, local good nursery and buy 1 rose plant, a bag of Greensand as I am almost out, 2 flats of Impatiens and a flat of the most lovely deep red ruffley petunias, more tomato plants, cucumber plants, nasturtiums, morning glories, some flower seeds, a potted bearded Iris and whatever. Spent $200.00. Ouch again.

I really should start to plant some of this stuff plus the four lily bulbs that I found came in the mail while I was gone, but I just got home short time ago and do not feel like working outside.

You should see all the plants lined up at the side of my house from today's haul. Too early for planting tomatoes but will get started on the other stuff tomorrow. I don't even have everything I need by a long shot and need lots more annuals. The nurseries must love to see me coming. I am a very good customer. I am just really ready for some color in the garden and blooms to get started.

Comments (16)