SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

A long explanation with A few quick questions....

Lcgrace Mahoney
16 years ago

My front flower beds are in full sun from about 1pm til dark. There is a large tree that casts a shadow as the sun moves across the sky.

I've just planted summer blooming bulbs and phlox roots, a coneflower, a pink wiegela, a peegee hydrangea and have a few small rose bushes in there. Everything is just either freshly planted or new last year. We put a layer of woodchips over newpaper as a mulch to prevent leaves last year.

I can't really mulch and turn the soil because I've got perennials in there that haven't happened yet. I have the new things marked but I don't want to disturb any roots.

The compost forum says to "not" just cover the woodchips with compost or other dirt because of the probability of robbing nitrogen from the plants. (um, ok).

Here's my question....I've wintersown seedlings to go into the bed and want to direct sow (sprinkle) lots of other to fill in the bed. Should I just move the woodchips and use a handful or "better" dirt to plant the seedlings?

Should I stay away from sprinkling the seeds and just work in tiny areas and leave the woodchips apart until the new seedlings come up?

I think I've got too many sprouts coming up to completely rake the woodchips out of the bed and add mulch....and it would be alot of work.

Any advice would help me to plan for the next few days of awesome weather!! Thanks so much!! LC Grace

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville