SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deirdre_2007

A few quick gardening questions please

deirdre_2007
14 years ago

Hi,

I have a few (thousand) items on my to do list, but I am seeking advice on a few things before proceeding. TIA for your assistance.

1. I have a large clump of purple homestead verbena that is just starting to emerge. It has one flower on it and some green branches in the middle of it. The rest of the large clump is dead twigs. How much, if any of the dead twigs can I trim back to make it a bit more attractive? Or should I wait until Fall??

2. I have two large lantanas that I planted my first summer in the house, July of 2005. Since then I've planted about 10 more all in and around the same area. All of my other lantanas are leafing out, but these two, my largest ones don't show ANY signs of life. Do I still give them time, or do I cut my losses? The stalks are dry and brittle.

3. Is it too late to use the tree spike fertilizers with my Magnolia tree? I fertilized too late one year on my Oregon Grape Hollies and killed them all.

4. I have three reblooming lilacs, "Josee" that need to be relocated. Should I wait until Fall, or can I do it now? They're only a few inches tall, maybe 6 inches tops. I've had them for at least two years and they've never bloomed but they are definitely alive. The fourth one I bought, has tripled in size and bloomed very well this year. Ditto on a Hydrangea? Should I wait until Fall to transplant it?

5. I bought six Hibiscus moscheutos three years ago. Every year I get tons of foliage but never any blooms. The first year they were attacked by Japaneese Beetles, the second the dreaded drought and this year, I want blooms!!! I feed them with the same food as I use on my roses.

6. Lastly, and thank you for still being with me if you've made it this far . . . I bought 10 Hydrangeas (Hydrangea macrophylla) two years ago. They struggled through the drought the first year and last year they grew in size and breadth but never bloomed. This year I have a few that are a beautiful size, but I don't see any signs of blooms. I feed them the same food as I do my Rhodies, Camellias and Azaleas. Advice?

Thank you ever so much. I'm glad everything is still alive, but honestly, I put so much work into everything, I'd really like to be rewarded with some flowers, not just foliage.

Comments (7)