SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymilwwi

Help - quick reply needed for timing question

marymilwwi
10 years ago

I appreciate very much any help for my situation! I live in Milwaukee WI area with heavy clay soil which had topsoil stripped by developers when subdivision built. We had soil test done which can be viewed by searching by my username, but the most important result was that organic matter is very low, 2.2%. Cost to amend with sufficient compost to raise OM level is prohibitive but I plan to follow advice received on organic law forum and add grain pellets frequently to fertilize. Yard is overrun with dandelions and has many small bare spots. Plan to do fall renovation with core aeration & light topdress of compost & overseeding. Due to basement wall work last fall regrading done around half of house about 10' wide extending from house out, but seeding at that time did not take, maybe because I suspect 100% rye seed used by mistake. Same company is about to redo with sod hopefully this week. For the last 2 years I've been trying to use organic lawn care but now come to the conclusion that I should do a one-time weed kill using conventional spray. I've been advised Fiesta (iron based organic week killer) is only a temporary fix as it doesn't kill roots. My conundrum is that I'd really like to overseed as much of the lawn as we can handle watering for (lawn is about 7,800 sq. ft.) but would also like to do weed kill and don't know how to time the weed kill. I don't know if I should ask them to hold off laying sod and spray for weeds first. The topsoil brought in to do grading is sprouting weeds also. We'll need to walk on the lawn to do watering once sod is down and our organic lawn care person advised its better to wait a couple weeks to walk on the lawn after spraying. Yesterday I spoke with Melinda Meyers a local horticulturist who advised not to do both spraying and seeding this year. She said sprays can adversely affect new seed and thought you should wait at least a full season after spraying to plant seed. I'm hoping others can share input about whether its possible to spray now and still overseed this fall, or whether there's better scenario (hopefully one that allows me to do both this year.) Its all I can do to just pull heads off dandelions as there are so many and the weed hound was useless at getting roots even when the ground was wet. Now its a mix of warm and cool days and I don't know if that affects when you can spray. If we sprayed now there would be alot more bare spots assuming the dandelions would leave bare spots so that would invite more weeds but I wonder if we could then use either Tupersan a new pre-emergent that supposedly doesn't inhibit seed growth, or corn gluten meal? Does anyone know if Tupersan is effective for dandelions? How much time would I need to wait after applying CGM before putting new seed down? For the last 2 years we used CGM as fertilizer spring and fall and mowed at the highest mower setting leaving clippings on the lawn.
After signing contract for sod I learned only 100% KBG sod is available. I was hoping for a mix of KBG, fescue & rye to avoid problems incurred with using a monoculture. Am I inviting a nightmare by using only KBG? Most of the yard is sunny tho there are a few shady areas. They gave me the option of 3 mixes and if anyone has any ideas of which would be best I'd be grateful to have your advice. I tried looking at ntep.org to check KBG cultivars but could only find two of them.
Option 1
Serene 34%
Right 25%
Hampton 24%
Prosperity 14%

Option 2
Conerto 25%
Crest 25%
Mercury 25%
Pangara 25%

Option 3
Bewitched 60%
Boutique 20%
Blackberry 20%

I am grateful for any help especially with figuring out the timing of weed kill/laying sod/overseeding, but any thoughts about other questions I have are also much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (2)