SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Picea abies 'Clanbrassiliana'

It's not without considerable grief that I share this cultivar and it's growth rate with you all. On about my fifth journey to Coenosium Gardens, I was strongly suggested to acquire this small, historic Norway spruce dwarf by a friend of mine, Dianne Fincham. Bob Fincham's wife, business partner and a wonderful woman, Dianne helped Bob with inventory, sales, shipping and the books, amongst no doubt many other things at Coenosium Gardens throughout the long years. I received terrible news recently that she passed away on June 18th. Anyone who knew Dianne knows this is a great loss, but the greatest to Bob. Life is temporary but at least we know when we move on that many people enjoyed our company, remembered us in life and the moments shared live on indefinitely. Dianne Fincham you will be missed. A small token though it is, I dedicate this thread to her memory and I proudly grow this wonderful plant with her blessings.

Picea abies 'Clanbrassiliana' is the oldest recorded conifer cultivar in known history. I've shared an exerpt from a webpage created by Bob Fincham with more history of this great, ancient cultivar.

""The mother plant was planted in 1798 in Northern Ireland by Lord Clanbrassil and first described in 1836. It was found as a witches' broom. The original plant may still be seen growing in Tollymore Park, near Newcastle, County Down, Northern Ireland.""

Here is four years of growth from my specimen, still in the original pot I transplanted it into about four years ago. It is in part-sun and I rarely water it. It is growing a little more or less than an inch a year(2-3 cm).

Below is a link to Bob's 'Plant of the Month' featuring Picea abies 'Clanbrassiliana'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea abies 'Clanbrassiliana'

Comments (5)