SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
memo3

Project of the Week

memo3
15 years ago

I spent the entire week working on one flower bed in my yard which will seem crazy to you when I tell you that it is completely empty, except for one rose bush.

Initially I put the bed in thinking I would make it into a rose garden, but I have a heck of a time keeping roses alive in this climate. So the only rose planted there is the antique yellow rose that I've talked about here before. The first year the bed was built I planted all of our vegetables in it. Last year I threw some straw over it and planted nothing, because I was unable to garden at all. Eventually the weeds filled it quite full. Last fall the Rancher let the cattle in to eat all the weeds in the yard (and all of my plants and shrubs) that had accumulated in my absence from regular care.

After some initial cleanup in my big flower bed, and seeding the lawn this spring I decided this long bed (66' x 5') was next on the list. It was massively filled with hundreds of huge weeds which had been top chopped by the cattle on the upper story and densely filled with sand burs on the lower story. I wished I had never made the darn thing. My own fault, so I had to deal with it. I used bath towels to set my knees down on as I worked inch by inch removing all the weeds and picking each tiny sand bur out of the dirt and the cracks and crevices of the bricks that line the bed. Then I raked it all and crawled through it and picked more burs. Quite a number of small rocks had surfaced so I went through it twice more on hands and knees to pick all the rocks and stones out of the soil and filled two 2-gal. ice cream tubs with rocks.

The rancher tilled it for me with my little Mantis Tiller. I added several loads of old leaves and he tilled it again with his big tiller. Next I raked and smoothed. This was a major undertaking for me. In past years all of this would have been a piece of cake and I would have had it done in a few hours but those days are long gone,obviously.

Again on hands and knees, I planted seed for three long days. I worked from early morning until dark each day. I've planted more than 30 different types of perennials and annuals and 2-3 different cultivars and multiple colors of many of them. I have flowers in there that will grow anywhere from 10 ft. to 4 inches. I have every color imaginable! I actually ran out of seeds of certain heights and had to go to town to buy some more, what fun!!

Last night when darkness fell, I still had about 8 ft. of that long long flower bed left to be planted and just could not see to finish it. Wouldn't you know that we are now in a rain pattern for the next week at least. We had a short break this afternoon and the sun actually popped through for a little while and we had company! It took everything I had not to just run out the door with my seed box so I could finish that short little section while the rain had stopped.

I am so hoping that my luck with seeds will take a turn for the good this year, and that my long long bed will be a beauty to behold. I'm excited to see how it all turns out.

Libby, will you send me some of your good seed starting mo-jo? Pretty please?

So....what were your projects this week? Did they get your juices flowing so that you just didn't want to quit?

MeMo

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations