SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arauquoia

Chinese Douglas Fir in the Boston, Mass., USA area?

arauquoia
12 years ago

I recently visited an arboretum in the Boston, Mass., USA area (zone 5 or possibly zone 6). They had tried Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii), apparently without success. I wasn�t sure if the reason for the demise was "too cold in winter" in the Boston area or "too hot and humid in summer" in the Boston area � or both.

I was guessing that the problem was summer heat and humidity and made the suggestion that, maybe, a Chinese Douglas Fir (Pseudotsuga sinensis) would be more suitable, thinking that many Chinese conifer species can handle our US East Coast summers when their US West Coast counterparts may not be able to.

But that raised the concern that Chinese Douglas Fir might not be cold-hardy enough; apparently, it is typically listed as suitable for zone 7.

I have seen Chinese Douglas Fir in Silver City, New Mexico, which is much colder than zone 7 in winter, but of course, has no humidity ever!

What is your assessment of the likelihood of success with Chinese Douglas Fir in the Boston area? Is there more than one species (or variety) that would more likely be suited?

Thanks for your consideration.

Comments (13)