SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thapranksta

Mixed Conifer Border

Tha Pranksta
10 years ago

I've been considering some things in an attempt to achieve some privacy in my yard. I was thinking more of a quick solution before and wanted to get a bunch of green giants to fill up the space. ken_adrian and some others gave me a little insight and I took their advice to heart as it made a lot of sense. So now I'm being a little more strategic in how I do things.

I'm going to start with a small little section (about 20' long) in my yard where I want to have a curved border to give privacy from my immediate neighbor. In this section, I plan to have a mixed border of Sparta Junipers and Hetz Wintergreen Arborvitae - both of which are columnar in growth habit. They have varying widths being reported at maturity but I've come to assume Wintergreen will grow a max of about 6 feet wide and Spartan will grow a max of about 4.5 feet wide. So for a quick border (3-4 years) I will assume about a 4 foot spacing for the Wintergreen and a 3-3.5 foot spacing with the Spartan.

My questions are: Will these trees play nice together and what type of arrangements would make a somewhat tasteful mixed border? Do I group all the Wintergreens beside each other or somewhat alternating with the Spartans? Do I make the arrangement look completely random? Does anyone have any pictures of their mixed border arrangements with conifers?

Thanks.

Comments (16)