SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

OT: Bulbs Ordered Again

newyorkrita
12 years ago

You all are not going to believe this what I did last night. I have been looking at Scheepers and going to order there too but was looking at their selection of greigii tulips. Was looking for more so searching the net.

So wanting a nice selection I found a place that has a wonderful selection of greigii tulips and not the ones on Scheepers. Nothing wrong with the ones on Scheepers as I am going to get some of those also but I wanted more. Looking for newer varieties. So I found a place called Dutch Grown Bulbs From Holland. Apparently your order ships directly from Holland. Lovely selection. Only problem is that it was 100 of a variety at a time, no lesser quantities accepted and with a $150.00 minium order. Hey, you think that would stop me? Of course not! I am now the proud owner (or I will be when they get here this fall) of 400 greigii tulips. 100 each of 4 varieties. I picked GOLDWEST, LARGE COPPER, MARCH OF TIME and SUNDANCE. Honestly they were a bargain at $37.50 per 100 and only $22.00 shipping.

I know were they are going in this one daylily bed, I think I can make the 400 work. It is actually in a place I had thought not to even address this year but I guess those tulips are ment for my garden as I found them! It should be stunning come spring.

So measuring today that bed that I intend to put those tulips is 10 feet long by 4 1/2 feet wide. It has four rows of daylilies in it. Between the ones in the first row, I already have crocus ordered that I will put there. Between those daylily clumps in the last row will be planted daffodil bulbs in clusters. So that takes up some of the space. So the tulips have to go in the spaces between rows and also bewteen daylily clumps in rows 2 and three. Honestly, 400 is an aweful lot of bulbs for the area. I could have ordered less but that would not have worked as I wanted a mix of colors. So I considered 4 types the minium to get the mixed effect. Five might be better but no was could I have ordered another 100 bulbs so the four will do.

I will figgure it all out somehow.

I am really trying to add not just my usual Darwins which return even though decline and my Triumph tulips that I adore and never return, but types are known to return year after year. That way I can have the best of both worlds. Greiggii are an early blooming perennial variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greigii Tulips at Dutchgrown Bulbs From Holland

Comments (9)