SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbydales

My first order of the season has arrived!!

abbydales
17 years ago

I am THRILLED!

I got my very first order from Marietta's and am really happy with them. They were so FAST, much quicker than I thought, so now I have to scramble to get pots scrubbed and filled for their temporary homes. The fans are healthy and big and all of my choices were in stock and affordable. I didn't get anything very fancy, but I'm happy.

I got: Changing Latitudes, Patrician Splendor, Chance Encounter, Silken Touch, Reine de Violettes, Elegant Candy, Flash Force, Gentle Rose, Just a Stitch, Desert Dream, Collector's Choice and Mariska.

I just had to tell someone, my family is a little tired of hearing about DLS.

~~Sharon

Comments (23)

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

Congrats! I know what you mean, my family is sick to death of hearing about daylilies too. Everyone has a passion right, a woman (or man) has to pour your soul into something. For me this is my artistic outlet. My daylilies are like my children, I plant them, pamper them and watch them grow and blossom into something beautiful. I got my order from marietta last week my fans were huge also, and much more than the double fans that I paid for, and my bonus was amazing. I am very happy! I hope that they bloom beautifully for you! ENJOY

• amateur_expert
    17 years ago

Sharon - I too just got my first order of the season and from Marietta! Just finished planting them last night. Isn't it exciting!! I got: Red Ribbons, Paper Butterfly, Collector's Choice, Beautiful Edgings, Siloam Doodlebug, Yazoo Wild Violets, and a bonus of Cousin Charles.

I think most of us here have family and friends who are sick of hearing about the object of our obsession. I've only been into daylilies for a year now and mine already roll their eyes when I start... but wait until bloom season and we'll see what they think then (I only had 5 during bloom season last year, this year I have 25 with more to come!) Whenever my husband starts in about how much money I spend on my hobby, I just point out that he has a hobby too - it has two wheels, goes really fast, and cost $7,000 dollars plus leather, helmet, boots, new chrome, etc. Ahh, honey, can I get a loan to get a few brand new intros? LOL

Christine

• Related Discussions

First early order has arrived... Has yours?

Q

Comments (27)
    Wow! Looks like you got yourself a "mother" bulb there..when you take it out of the bag take another shot of it for us please..makes me want to buy another one!! Can you tell us about how big it actually is? Donna
    ...See More

First Mail Order Daylilies of the Season Arrived Today

Q

Comments (14)
    Well, the only garden thing I did today was plant daylilies. Got a late start today in the garden because I had to work this morning and I just finished watering the planted daylilies and dragged myself in now afew minutes ago. Haven't even had dinner yet. I got the rest of my plants from Mike Huben planted plus almost all my order from Melanies North Country Daylilies. I have four more to do tomorrow but otherwise that order from Melanie of 31 daylilies (including some from Brian Culver in Canada) is all planted. I want to get them planted tomorrow plus my roses and sedum so I can drag out my tomato cages and set up my tomato rows in my veggie garden. I have got to get that done and should plant those tomatoes as this Monday I have daylily orders being shipped from Karol Emmerich, Don Herr and Phil Korth. So by Wednesday I could well have more Daylilies to plant and I certainly will by the end of the week. Trying to get everything done in what seems like all at once to me.
    ...See More

My first order arrived today

Q

Comments (8)
    Dave, receiving new plants in the post is always exciting! Having not seen the plants you are purchasing, there's usually an element of surprise too! (You hope for the pleasant variety!) Looks like you have some nice root systems that will pay dividends in the coming months. I only have one of those - Lakeside Ripples (photo taken today). This will be its third year, but you seem to have secured one that's already off to a good start! Be sure to post the progress of Lemon Squash - I love the look of all those ripply ones developed by Jeroen Linneman! It's available in the States this year, but as yet, it hasn't crossed the border to any retailers further north! Anyhow, enjoy watching your haul grow over the coming weeks and months. BC
    ...See More

My first order from Green Mountain has arrived!

Q

Comments (11)
    Popmama, like Dick, I too have found end of season sales at grocery stores. That is how I came to own my 'June' and 'Golden Tiara' - each under $7 late in the season back in 2009. I actually think I forgot to pick up what sent me to the store in the first place, lol....the hostas were at the outside entrance of the store and the first thing I saw! Too excited about the find and the price! Keep your eyes open, Popmama for you never know what you can find in grocery stores ;-).
    ...See More
  • mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Christine- well, YA! That's what Home Equity lines are for...landscape improvements!!! Which means you even get good interest rates for Daylily Investments!!!

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Now I'm getting antsy for MY Marietta order to get here, LOL! Mine will be another two weeks or so, I think - I asked for early May for my delivery. Their spots are ready and waiting, and I'm excited to plant them and watch them grow. . . .

Laurel

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Yea for all of you!! I got an order today too!! Mine came from Favorite things. Gregg sends clumps most of the time. They are a nice healthy size. I expect great blooms from them.

Dancing With Julie,
    Romanian Rendevous
    Alexa Kathryn
    Just A Tease and John Peat as a bonus. Yea for me too!!!!Ellie

• janepa
    17 years ago

I have to join right in with you all.
    Isn't it exciting when the first box arrives? I got home from work today and there were two boxes on the front porch and this time they were not QVC.

My DLs came from Subhana at the Lily Auction, who I have ordered from many times, and have been always very pleased. My other order came from Wrights Daylily Garden in Hilham, TN, and I am very pleased with them also.

We are getting rain today so the bed might be to wet to plant the DLs, but I do have some pots ready.

I took a couple of vacation days to get my big bed ready, and I was disappointed to see how many of the DLs I planted last spring & summer do not seem to be returning. We had a warm winter with no snow cover until late, and then it got VERY cold for a couple of weeks and has just now finally started to warm up. The ones I potted later in the summer seem to have faired better.

Good luck everyone with your new 'little ones'. I get all those same looks that you all are getting but it is all in good fun.

Jane

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Nice selections, everyone! I got my first small order today from Patron's, and everything is HUGE!

I only ordered four and Pat sent 3-4 fans of each:
    ORANGE ELECTRIC, MEGGIE'S SMILE, TREASURE OF THE SOUTHWEST and FOREVER REDEEMED, plus 5 fans of VOLCANO QUEEN as a bonus.

If you haven't ordered from Patron's, they're right there at the top of my list for two years now.

Chris

• abbydales
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, that first box is pretty thrilling! I have really had to rush around getting pots scrubbed and find the right soil mix, etc. I hope they didn't mind the wait, I talked to them each day (since Weds.) and explained it to them. Now I am ready to pot tonight no matter what, by flashlight if necessary!
    My family rolls their eyes a lot at me, but we all need out hobbies. They certainly have theirs. My daughters do like DLs though, and have them in their gardens. Last summer, the first thing we did each morning was tiptoe outside in our pjs to see which ones were blooming. But my daughter says to me all of the time, "But Mom, you already HAVE a pink one, an eyed one...etc" She just doesn't understand that there are many many pinks, all with subtle differences.....well, I could go on and on.

jkunkle, I completely agree with you! What did you get from Marietta? Enjoy yours too!

Christine, great choices! I have Paper Butterfly and Beautiful Edgings coming from another source, and I love the Yazoo WV, I had that on my longer list that I had to narrow down.

Laurel, what did you order?? I am very impressed that you actually have spots ready and waiting for them. That is the way to do it!

Mizellie, what lovely choices! Alexa Kathryn- what an edge, and great bonuses too. Esp. John Peat- gorgeous!

Jane, what did you get? I hope you see some life from your summer and spring planted ones. Good luck.

Chris, you don't like eyes do you?! Do you have a hot bed?
    Those are some amazing colors. Do you put the oranges and purples together? I did want to order from Patron's but their web site seems to be taking a while to update for this year, so I moved on to other sources. Did you order from a catalog?

Thanks everyone for letting me share, enjoy your new babies!

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

I did get a catalog from Patron's because I ordered from them last year. And the thing with eyes is really strange -- it all depends on the daylily. I love orange with red eyes, but hate yellow with red eyes. I love cream with a lavender eye, but hate cream with a dark purple eye. Makes no sense, does it? My oranges get mixed with all colors except pale pink (just don't like that color combination).

Your choices are beautiful -- it looks like you prefer the pastels. Am I right?

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Abbydales,

This year I ordered from Marietta:

Changing Latitudes
    Talking To You
    Mexican Art
    Looking Fine
    Winter Chill
    Tachibana
    Francis of Assisi
    Hampstead Heath
    . . . . and another I just CANNOT seem to remember, phooey.

I can hardly wait! (And I'm not usually so organized about having places to put things - but I have seedlings this year that needed space, so I made a new bed last fall. The new ones will go around the edge, and the seedlings will go in the middle.)

Laurel

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Willie Lyles! That was the one I forgot. And, I just heard from John Shooter and my bonus will be 'Cousin Charles.' Great! They'll be here this week, and then I can PLANT.

Laurel

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Cousin Charles' from John Shooter, 2004

• Mainiac
    17 years ago

My first order came this week too! I got Last Snowflake from Stamile! It's a new intro and only one fan but the bonus was a double fan of Inimitable, a 2006. I have never seen such huge fans! Simply incredible!

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

Abbydales,
    This year I ordered these from Marietta's:
    Peacock maiden
    Way out Yonder
    Shark's tooth
    Riders of the Storm
    Awesome artist
    Raptor Rap
    Rhapsody in time
    Smokey mountain autumn
    Roses in Snow
    Gilded Peacock
    I was so impressed with the plants that they sent that I ordered these today from them:
    Frilly Bliss
    Fairy free spirit
    Beautiful edgings,
    and asked for Mystical rainbow as a gift plant.
    Oops, I ordered
    Lilting belle
    pink knobby
    and Mico from Oakes today too!
    Ive got to stop spending money! That means peeling my face away from the computer cause my wish list just keeps getting longer, and there is no more change in my piggy bank to roll up! Oh-yeah Marietta sent me Chocolate cherry dreams as a bonus plant, hope it's pretty.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

My Marietta order arrived. The plants they sent are HUGE! There are several that aren't divisions, they're clumps (6 large fans of 'Francis of Assisi'! Woohoo!), and even the two DF divisions of 'Willie Lyles' and 'Winter Chill' are gigantic. How exciting, I can't wait to plant them.

Laurel

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

Isn't this great, I just love this time of year! Im so excited I can't wait to see my DL's bloom, and Ill be looking forward to lots of pictures from you guys too!

• abbydales
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, nice choices everyone! Doesn't it feel like Christmas when you open that box? Mine are all potted, and I did NOT get Mariska, I thought it was in the box because
    I didn't see "sold out" on my slip. Oh well, I'll have to check elsewhere. I got CC as a bonus too, surprise surprise!

Maximus, I know what you mean about eyes, some really appeal to me, others I just can't stand. I guess I am on a sort of pastel kick, I'm always searching for that perfect pink. Last year it was all about purples.

Laurel, great! I love the eye of Talking to You, and Winter Chill and Tachibana have the form I just love. Willie Lyles it a great bright pink, ( now added to my list ) I have had FOA on my list for a while. SIX fans? Wow!

Mainiac, Last Snowflake looks incredible! and what a bonus you got!

jkunkle, You got quite an assortment! Do you like purples and eyes? I think I need to add Way out yonder, Mystical Rainbow and Fairy Free Spirit to my wish list. Lilting Belle is especially lovely too. I have Roses in Snow, Beautiful Edgings and Smokey Mt.Autumn coming soon.
    Let me know if they send you your request for a bonus. I had suggested a couple , cheap ones, but didn't get them.
    Just curious.
    Thanks everyone, enjoy!

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

Sorry you didn't get Mariska! I ordered Celestial eyes from woodside nursery earlier this spring, and when my box came, the order slip said sorry, not available. I was sad, I really wanted that one and it was only $25!, anywhere else(if you can find it at all) it is a lot more expensive. OH-well, I got plenty of other nice ones from them though. I ordered lavender blue baby (DF) and they sent me 4 fat healthy fans of that, so I can't complain.
    Another one from them that I can't wait to see bloom is At first blush, hope it looks like the pictures.{{gwi:685351}}

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

Abbydales, just got my email from marietta's saying that they shipped my second order, and take a wild guess what my bonus is? Cousin Charles! I did suggest a cheap one as a bonus too, huh. Well im sure ill find a spot for it somewhere. Although mothers day is comming, I could pot it up and give it to my mommy. She's not into daylilies like I am, but I can fix that! LOL
    I just realized that in all of my posts ive never given my name, sorry if that is rude. - Jessica

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

This was my second year ordering from Marietta's, and both were sizable orders. Both years I've suggested substitutions and bonus plant requests, but I've never received a bonus that was on my list. I must say, though, that I've been happy with what they've sent. Last year they substituted for two plants on my order and, including bonuses, sent Lily Munster, Mapping Kentucky, Southern Patriot, Colored With Love, Beach Music and Living Echoes.

They must have known I was into purples with my order!

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

oooooo..Lily Munster, wow thats a pretty one. How does it grow for you? I LOVE pink spiders!

• abbydales
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jessica, that At First Blush is gorgeous!!
    Well, it looks like Cousin Charles will be blooming in all corners of the country this year. I was a little surprised by it, because in addition to my list of bonus suggestions, I said that anything would be ok, but I specifically asked for no reds. It's hard to be disappointed when it is a bonus after all. I bet it will really stand out in my garden and I'll love it.
    I found another source for Mariska, Sunshine Hollow , clump sale for $4.95. Anyone have any dealings with them? I'll have to see if they have any others I want to make the postage worthwhile.
    I got my second order of the season yesterday,(from Wynn's of Fla.) and I have to say they are the biggest, best Dls I've had yet. All big divisions and so green, my bonus there was Paige's Pinata and Armani from Munson.
    Off to pot them up!
    ~~Sharon

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

I placed an order with Sunshine hollow, they told me over the phone that they will be sending it next week. I got-
    Baby blues
    Blue moon rising
    Curly rosy posey
    Siloam Merle kent
    and Janice Brown (should look nice next to my Banned in Boston)
    Ill let ya know how big the clumps are next week, if ya still want to know. I just got my second order from Marietta planted 30 min. ago. Once again they out did themselves! They gave me 6 fans of Fairy free spirit, 3 of Frilly bliss and 3 of Beautiful edgings. Of course 2 big fat fans of Cousin Charles, which by the way might look stunning next to Paiges pinata. They are both very bright! Just an idea. Enjoy- Jessica

• nikki42
    16 years ago

Hi Maximus,

I'm new to the forum but was trawling through old messages when I saw this one.

My preferences re eyes are EXACTLY like yours, I hate yellow and red together too but like orange and red, I also like cream with lavender but not cream with purple.

I think it is because there is too much contrast with some colours which, to me, can look harsh, where others i.e orange and red have a much more subtle transition which gives the plant a softer look.

That is just my personal preference of course and there are so many daylilies now that luckily everyone's taste can be catered for!

Nikki