SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

New Dutch Iris Blooming

organic_kitten
13 years ago

I planted these last year and they look pretty blooming with the hybrid rose "Ladylike".

{{gwi:685121}}

White Cat is my garden cat. We inherited her as a feral kitten when her owner moved and left the litter (she later came back for the mother cat). After White Cat) had a kitten of her own, we captured and tamed her (and the kitten) and had her spaded. She was an inside-outside cat, but after a couple of years, White Cat quit coming into the house, and she will not come into the house at all now...but she sits on the very peak of the roof and meows at us when we return home from any outing and she follows me in the garden or sits with me when I am sitting there.

{{gwi:685122}}

These yellow and lavender Dutch Iris were planted last fall:

I think they are really pretty:

{{gwi:685123}}

I planted that fifth azalea this morning, and I am very pleased with the way they are looking...It is no easy thing to dig the holes under the big oak tree, but I figure if I just plant a couple at a time in the midst of the other gardening, it will work out just fine.

{{gwi:685124}}

Today, I also weeded and fed the roses. I picked a bloom from Louis Phillipe, an Old Garden rose, and it has the entire room smelling of roses..Wonderful fragrance!

I have enjoyed my garden so much this spring...and just think, iris and daylily seasons are still to come!

kay

Comments (24)

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Your iris look beautiful blooming among everything. I have a clump of Dutch iris, Eye of the Tiger, that didn't bloom last year, & haven't yet this year. I'm thinking they need to be divided, they seem to have multiplied a lot since I planted them. I may copy you & scatter mine around. Love those red azaleas. White cat is lovely, I like her coloring, rather unusual.

• crackingtheconcrete
    13 years ago

Kay, the whole effect is very VERY pretty! So glad you got such a good deal on those azaleas.
    I really like White Cat..her little "mittens" are very endearing. *gives kitty squishy hugs*

• Related Discussions

Why aren't my dutch iris blooming?

Q

Comments (2)
    Well, silly me. Two weeks later, they are in full bloom. I do think I will divide them this year, though. The clumps are getting very large. Thanks, Iris gal. I'll be sure to give them a nice feed while I'm at it.
    ...See More

OT: Dutch Iris Blooming

Q

Comments (9)
    I've planted Dutch iris, but the only ones that have lingered & bloom are yellow. I have Eye of the Tiger, but they have not bloomed for 2 years. I'm going to divide them when the foliage dies back & see if that is the problem. They have certainly multiplied since I planted them. Yours look just great. They have them growing occasionally at the nursery here, but usually I just see them as bulbs. I'll have to remember to pick up some more next year after seeing yours. You are such a bad influence Rita!
    ...See More

First Daylily Bloom, Dutch Iris, Iris Views

Q

Comments (9)
    Once I discovered the iris I was very happy as it gave me that bloom season I had been trying to find with those extra early daylilies. Honestly about the only great thing about that daylily is that I am able to post on May 23 that I have a daylily bloom. But otherwise forget it. Those few extra earlies are in a row in front of the extra lates in the front yard. Sooner or later I will get the urge and find more extra lates. Then I will replace the really nerdy extra earlies and take their spots. Meantime they stay. Christine- I have no secret with the Dutch Iris. I planted them all last fall, they came up this spring. I am hoping they come back each year but that remains to be seen. I do know that I plan to get more to plant in other places this fall.
    ...See More

Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs

Q

Comments (2)
    I would be interested in this too. :) do you have a cold room? ... we have one next to the basement, underground. It is unheated and around 5 degrees C all winter.... just above freezing. if you did have, it might be a consideration. we also have an unheated attached garage but it does go below freezing in there. I would be very interested in other answers. :)
    ...See More
  • kimkats
    13 years ago

Love the iris very pretty. And so are the azaleas. LOVE the kitty!!!!

Kim

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for looking at the pics. White Cat is a very loving cat now. She loves for me to work in the garden and stays around pretty much the whloe time I'm there. DH and I are suckers for animals that need food or care, so they find us, of course.

ngraham, I think I am going to buy some of those Eye of the Tiger this fall...I love the bloom on Dutch iris, they are so reasonable, and they bloom before a lot of things in spring. I have one other variety that hasn't bloomed yet, it's a pink or light lavender called Rosalie, I think.

crackingtheconcrete, When I pick White Cat up, it scares her to death...but she never tires of being petter.

kimkats, Thank you. DH and I are going to that nursery again this week. If they still have azaleas some of them will go home with me, but they have camellias too, so I know I will manage to find something.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Wow, so many interesting pictures and lots going on in your garden. First off, I want to say that the kitty is so pretty and I love the fact that you have a garden friend. Love the little white feet!

Digging in a batch of tree roots is no fun but those Azealeas are going to look so nice en mass for years and years and years. I like the edge of a woods effect the grouping of shrubs makes there in your garden.

Fed the roses, wow. It is too early for that here as its best to feed after the roses leaf out. I did put Alfalfa already in all the rose beds and also some powdered Humic acid which is a very fine powder. Then let the rain soak it in.

You know I love the Dutch Iris. Love the purple ones and especially love the lighter two color one.

I put in mixed Dutch Iris between the new TB iris in the back bed but then in front of it were I have groupings, they are all stands of one type only with 5 groupings in a row. Should look great blooming. Alot of my Dutch Iris crazies came from seeing your lovely pictures last year. This year too!

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Rita,
    White Cat is a sweet cat. I enjoy her being around. I do love azaleas, so don't mind having to work to get them planted. (DH says he will help plant, and he would if I were willing to wait for him, which I'm not.

I am going to slightly change that curved path since the Japanese maple goes a little too far into it. I will have to move only one daylily, which is not bad alt all.

This is the second time I have put alfalfa meal and Rosetone on the roses. But they are all covered with buds, and some are blooming, so I think it is time. And it is supposed to rain tonight.

Every time I see Dutch Iris, I think they are an unappreciated little bulb. They come back for several years here too. I'm glad I get to inspire you a little since you have surely inspired me enough over the years.

Bloom is so early this year. I have buds on the peonies, all the roses are budded out, the tall bearded iris are putting up blooms. Wow! I love it!
    kay

• Cindy zone 6a
    13 years ago

You are having a great spring in your garden, and it is really lovely. White cat is very lovely also, it's great to have a garden 'helper'. Your azaleas are having me start to think about were I can put some. I have only one very large one, and I planted a white one a few years ago. hmmmmm, I think I need more, under trees is a good idea. I'm gonna have a look around.
    cindy

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

wow.kay. you really have a lot going for you this spring.It all looks very pretty, too.I use to have a few dozen of them Dutch Iris, but I didnt care for them,and kept cutting them down with a weed eater,until nowI only see one or two thats up.The rest of them died I guess.I had the mixed colors,and the purple was the only one I kind of liked.Your Azalea's are so pretty.

Jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Cindy. I have enjoyed this spring so much with all of the blooming.
    You should consider planting some azaleas under shade. My azaleas that do the best are in the deeper shade. Of course, they get sun during the winter when the tree has no leaves.

Jean, I love the Dutch Iris, but we all have our things that we like and don't like.
    kay

• katladie
    13 years ago

Wow, great color going on there, love the irises. What is the shrub in the last pic with the green balls?

We have ferals that were raised in the house and then decided to become outside cats, they love being petted, but don't want to come back in. White Cat is a real beauty. sharon

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sharon,

Thank you for kind comments. White Cat has a sister who comes in and sleeps inside each night, eats then asks to go out and spends most of the time outside during the day.

That shrub is another type of viburnum. The green balls will soon be white, but tiny in comparison to the Giant snowballs. It is a pretty background shrub however, but needs a bit od pruning which it will get after the blooms.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Kay- Don't you have an older stand of the Dutch iris all grouped en mass? In a dark blue or purple blue color? I seem to remember a picture like that last year. I think they were planted near the Tall Bearded Iris.

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

Beautiful garden pics Kay. Enjoy!

Julia

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Rita.
    That is them in the picture with the cat, they are just opening. They look pretty good, but there is an open space I will have to fill this fall...About two plants are missing...I may just add another entire row there. Today they appeared much fuller than in that picture, but I took no pictures. We went back to the nursery and got a few more plants, and that stupid knee is dealing me fits.

Last night, I ordered a few more roses (four Austins, Belinda, and Purple Splash...I couldn't resist that one.), as I am going to have to plant a good bit after all, but not a lot of area to break...just an extension of the rose garden to the end of the shed.

My daylily foliage is the healthiest it has ever looked right now. Other than a few instances of leaf stripe (and it is a few) they daylilies are lush and green.

I have been much more attentive to feeding all of the plants,probably because I got an early start with the weather. Speaking of which, we are supposed to have frost tonight. Rats! I hope not.
    kay

• Waitforspring
    13 years ago

Kay, your garden is looking great. I love the look of Dutch Iris, but somehow they haven't done well for me here. After seeing yours maybe I'll try again. White Cat is such a beautiful color--nicer than any garden ornament!
    Val

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Val,
    Thank you so much. Dutch Iris are so beautiful when they do well, and they seem to like my climate. I have had one bed of them for three years, but I think I managed to kill a couple of the purple ones in that bed when I was working in the TB iris bed it borders.

I hope you do have better luck with them the next time around.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

You better watch out, adding roses is very addictive but the results are so beautiful when they are in bloom LOL! We will both have to post roses blooming this summer.

I really don't have hardly any Austins. I used to have more than I do now but moved them outta here and replaced them with other roses as they just wanted to grow too big for me. Big and sprawly doesn't work in my garden.

I just seem to remember the Dutch Iris being closer together with more of them last year. Maybe it was just the angle of the picture that was taken. My Dutch Iris are planted much closer together than yours are. But then you know I smush things together around here. Mihne are growing nicely out in the backyard but no bloom scapes coming up yet. Must be too early here for then to even bud up yet.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are right. They were closer, which means I have to add some this fall... good memory.

My Abraham Darby has several, in fact, I have at least 20 different bushes with buds, not counting the Knock-outs.

Here is a couple of the hybrid Tea's buds opening:

Lady Like:

{{gwi:685125}}

And Tequila Sunrise:

{{gwi:685126}}

My garden is going from early to late spring blooms, but I am enjoying it anyway.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    13 years ago

Very pretty roses. I especially like the second one. You know I love those hot colors. You can probably just add some Dutch Iris bulbs between the ones you have now for the fuller look.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rita, I often take flowers rto work, and when I take that rose, it get as much if more compliments than any other rose I have. Yes, I intend to do that and perhaps add a few scattered ones in the row. I like it with a lot more bloom.
    kay

• sann777
    13 years ago

Those red azaleas are going to look great in front of those viburnums and spirea (?). Love the dutch Iris and, of course, love the kitty. If you go back to the Azalea place, get you a Gerard L Tabor (Pink). Give it plenty of room when you plant it. It is a lovely one. I also Love Pink Ruffle... Sarah

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Kay it all looks great. My dutch iris are just now starting to show color. I got bit by the iris bug last fall while ordering my tulips and daffs. Your new azaleas look great with your other plantings. The deer hit my roses again and I am so upset. I try to live with them but am beginning to change my mind. If I had a gun I believe I would have used it. I wish someone would come and tranquilize them and carry them off somewhere where they couldn't get anyones plants. I love listening about your cats. Ready to get me some at the rescue group if I can talk hubby and Callie & Chloe (my 2 beagles) into it. See ya, Judy

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Beautiful roses. DH would especially be crazy about that 2nd one, he always picks out that general color rose at the nursery.

• katladie
    13 years ago

Kay, I just googled Purple Splash, wow, now I am going to have to get that. sharon