SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Help me to understand....

greenhaven
11 years ago

I have been ardently attending this forum for about two weeks, and have lurked and posted sporadically in the past.

I Love conifers. I love the structure and year-round interest they give a garden, and I love the play of textures, colors, sizes and shapes. I also love some of the stunning barks and cones, as do the rest of you, I am sure.

But here is probably where I will part ways with a lot of you diehard collectors. There are THOUSANDS of cultivars of conifers, a large number of which come from 'found' brooms. When I look through some of the galleries, after a few I just see "another small, broom-like evergreen." How can every one of these be SO unique, and SO special as to warrant the time, energy and money spent propagating them?

Is it just the thrill of seeing what will happen? I do not intend to criticize or put down you true collectors, I do not look on the work with disdain. I truly just don't understand the appeal of having hundreds of small conifers that resemble their counterparts so closely as to be needing an expert to distinguish them.

I might become one of those people, some day. For me, though, I would rather see beautiful gardens with many specimens of varying ages that play together as a team. I can look at a mature specimen of, say, Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' and say, wow, that is an amazing and graceful tree! What is so special about a hundred tiny, nondescript grafts?

I am ready to be enlightened: Ready? Go!

Comments (26)