SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sincraft

Thuja Plicita Excelsa - is this wise or...real?

sincraft
10 years ago

I've attached a picture of the Conifer that I intend on planting in a row to create a division between my yard and my neighbors yard. My neighbor is selling his house, and for one reason or another, cuts into my yard a good 1-2' in spot and up to 10' in others, even after pointing out a recent survey done.

I want to be sure I set boundaries and, I need to create a privacy wall as my neighbors house sits slightly higher than mine, and their backyard/deck is adjacent to our backyard deck. Corner lot meets side lot.

I started down this path and thought I wanted green giants. I do not want them to spread out more than say 8' but would like a nice tall tree that is almost shrub like, that will AT LEAST get to 12' in height but maybe 20'. 12' will hide a 6' tall person on the neighbors deck from peering down on us as we swim/ lay out etc.

One thing leads to another, and now Im not sure what to get. Elegatisima is one type that was recommended, however EVERYTHING I read shows this as only getting 10-15' high. They want $90/90 to purchase/install these at 8'. The green giants are about 100/100 at 8'. This is at 2 or 3 growers that I found.
I finally met up with another nursery that had these Excelsa's in what I thought were VERY small pots vs rootballs, for $75 each and were $60 for the installs. Each of these plants is easily over 8' once in the ground. However, as you can see in the picture, they are very column like, and not tree like. Also, the same nursery had green giants, but there were VERY sparse and sickly, so that concerns me about their practices. Could these be another type of arborvitae relabeled? The labels appear to be from the grower and tied to the tree though.

Finally - the Excelsa's had one to FOUR leaders on each tree. That concerns me also as I want a tree like shape with a central draw toward the sky. The leaders seem to start alllllll the way toward the middle to middle bottom of the tree! Will one emerge? The nursery seemed to think these were how they all come and will eventually cone out? But I sensed she wasnt as knowledgeable as she would like to think and possibly these were cut early in to be shrub like.

Almost all of the growers have attempted to steer me away from the green giants for one reason or another. One for the reason I outlined above on the excelsa, as having multiple leaders which results in tree splitting.

I'm not sure what the answer is; however, I am leaning toward saying yes to these excelsa's and hoping for the best outcome with TLC.

Im supposed to let them know by tomorrow because they only have exactly the number + a few more of what I need for this 85' long planting row.

This post was edited by sincraft on Fri, May 31, 13 at 23:18

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Looks like they were recently stuffed into those small pots.

• sincraft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I dont know what that means. Is that bad? At first I thought, finally I found something deer resistant that will grown less than the green giants but taller than the ellegatisima's, and for about $900 less for the entire job, and the job can be done Weds instead of 4 weeks from now.

Not one place has really that ONE thing that I need it seems. Im worried these were poorly chosen and maintained trees,,...but can you trim back to a central leader without trimming all the way down to where the others begin?

So much to consider in so little time...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

will they guarantee the plants ... and for how long ....

that is the key ...

and do understand.. success rate might be an issue.. over volume ... with conifers.. if you plant 20 .. you should expect a few failures ...

ignore GGiants.. they have way too much potential ...

take the time to personally choose the plants with the least leaders ...

and the real key.. is PROPER AFTERCARE ...

the entire root mass .. not just the surface .. must remain moist for 2 years ... to really increase that success rate on large transplants ... but they should never be sodden ... nearly drying between deep waterings ...

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

This sounds like a long term investment so I would take every precaution to ensure it turns out that way .

.I would probably step back and reaccess your situation.

Your success/survival rate goes way up with 3-4 ft. potted plants and cost per plant goes way down.

Only plant single leader plants.

Those pictured ,Elegatisima, with small root balls and tons of foliage would probably drop 25% of it the first year. Not enough supporting root structure to feed all of it. Heaven forbid if they were grown potted. The compacted root mass would not be salvageable.

You might have to go with a cultivar that has narrower growing pyramidal habit for single leader growth.

I will suggest one for you to consider. Thuja occidentalis 'Hetz Wintergreen'. It will fend off snow wind and rain. See link.

Maybe others will chime in with other options.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• sincraft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input thus far. I googled everything I could think of to find actual nurseries vs two guys, a truck and a pile of mulch. Everywhere I called within a 40 mile range has Elegatisima, Green Giants, Emeralds and then usually ....something else.

They all say come on out and checkout what we have, and dont really want to say much over the phone. What I get from them is that all their stock is great and , if I want to find only single leader plants.....to go grow and nurture 50 on my own to get 20 that will have a single leader, then after I plant it, will be fighting to keep them that way.

The elegatisima that Ive seen do NOT have single leaders , at any nursery. The only place that Ive seen single leader plants was a nursery with the tree in the dirt, and they were green giants. They want double what everyone else wants.

This nursery told me that these excelsa were probably sheered like this to be more upright and they didnt take care to watch for additional leaders at the growers. Its simply a matter of cutting back the other leaders a bit and allowing a more dominant one to take hold.

I was also told that these were field dug and potted while they were dormant. They look good now but, most are leaning one way or another, barely holding up in those pots. They said they rarely have issues ,and guarantee the trees for at least a year, and will work with me after a year to see me through the next summer too, replacing any bad trees but I would have to put them in order be charged to put them in. But a full year 'parts and labor' regardless.

My only other option is to bite the bullet, get the green giants and pay $4000 for this job vs $2000.

Im also told by every dealer that their elegantisimas grow to 25', and to not read what I read on the web.

I've called around for this Hetz vs because I heard of that, and Green Splendor. No one has anything these in our area. A couple dealers recommended the Niagra's but said that deer will eat them like candy, all the way to the trunk if I have deer...............which we have plenty of, however, they have never touched the 3 emeralds on my property that are about 12' tall.

Just not sure what to do. If these things take root and grown next year, even with multiple leaders, I'd be fine trimming them back into a more tree like shape. But if they just sit there for 3 years trying to regrow roots and turning all bushy, then I would probably be a bit PO'd.

• sincraft
    Original Author
    10 years ago

also - I should mention. I do not want to wait for privacy screen. 8' puts me right where I need to be as 'good' for now; but 12-15' would put me perfect within 5-8 years tops.

My only options are GG, Elegantissima's, These Excelsa's, or Nigra. I can get the Elegantissimas at 5-6 foot range for $105 installed but I heard they grow REAL slow. This grower has 900 acres and does have GG's; but tried very hard to steer me away from them. I dont think they have much quality left there personally but, he said they tend to split and grow other leaders; while the Elegantissimas dont. All the GGs ive seen only had single leaders, some ugly some healthy and full looking. The elegantissimas this place had, I couldnt tell if they were multiple leaders or not but, he said no on the phone.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Remember if you plant the multi leader Excelsa's you could loose your investment in time and money overnight if hit with heavy wet snow or and ice storm. Multi leaders for this cultivar are the norm not the exception.

If I had to choose 'Green Giants' would win hands down..

Anyway I hope your decision proves to be the right one.

Good luck,

Dave