SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Setting Up the front yard Terrace

newyorkrita
15 years ago

I figgure you all pretty much know that I did more terracing work in my front yard last year in early October. All done filled with soil and compost and mulched with leaves and left ready for planting in spring. At first I was going to move some daylilies I had there from the curved part I did prior years (filled with daylilies), then I decided against that and decided to buy all new.

I checked my spring daylilies purcheses and have at least 28 daylilies I could put in that terrace. That is not all my spring stuff, just the ones I was not already planned on other places for. I laid it out and it takes only three rows. When I built it, I was hoping for 4 rows but I can have four rows and never be able to get in there, or I can have three rows and be able to have two rows in front and a space for a small accress path and the third row near the back wall. So three rows it is. (Three rows also allows room for future pantings of spring bulbs). The front row is 11, the second row staggered is 12. Going to put new in there. Then I have decided to move the last row of my backyard terraces garden (9 plants of mostly Karol Emmerich intros with two Paul Owen intros and one Don Herr intro) into that very back row. The reason is that the nasturturtums that hang down from the third terrace one of that 4 terace affair in the back yard, either shade that back row or need to be cut back constantly. I decided I really like the plants hanging down and made an error putting that back row in there.

So thats where I am now. Planning is always such a big deal. As it is my plans are never perfect and things here get moved alot. Still things looked pretty good last year and should do better this year.

I stratched up the mulch and see my daylilies coming up under the mulch, hurray. I am wondering if its too early or not to move those into the front yard.

Comments (2)