SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dust2dust

Drought tolerant plants for a rental property?

dust2dust
19 years ago

Hello,

I just recently purchased a rental duplex property in the Bay Area that is a major "fixer upper." The front and back yard area has been neglected for at least 10 years and has weeds poking through ratty bermuda grass sod that's been laid down unevenly.

I'd like to fix it up so it becomes a nicer rental property that has a little bit of character, rather than some of the very uncared-for rentals that I often see, with no thought put into the grounds around it.

The front & back get eastern and western exposure and I am rather new to xeriscaping, but I figure since it's California, might as well try to plant wisely, right, as well as make it a comfortable place for others to live in. I've been doing a bit of research on GW, as well as visiting local nurseries and trying to put together some attractive drought-tolerant plants that would also attract wildlife.

Can I get kindly some feedback as far as some of the types of plants I am considering?

Thus far:

shrubs: lavender, salvia darcyi, salvia guaranitica

mid-height plants: salvia chamaedryoides, agastache 'apricot sprite', agastache rupestre, lemongrass, wahlenbergi species, sedum 'atumn joy', sedum 'vera jameson'

groundcover: delosperma cooperi, plecanthrus neochilus, wooly thyme

misc: echeverias, aloes, kalanchoe fedschenkoi, passiflora 'phoenicia' (for an arbor I'll build that gets western exposure), possibly native Cali wildfowers for areas I can't get to fixing up right away

If you all have any thoughts as far as these plants, as well as any suggestions for others, I'd be most grateful. The soil around here I'm told is quite rich and retains water very well, while also providing good drainage.

Many thanks!

Veter

Comments (6)

Sponsored