SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kay21_utahzone5

Blue Weeping Alaska Cedar with yellowing foliage

kay21_utahzone5b
9 years ago

I think what I have is Blue Weeping Alaska Cedar/Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Pendula' (well, I notice it has about 4 different Latin names). We put them in 5-6 years ago. I was a total newbie and had no idea they would get so big or that we shouldn't plant so close to a foundation; another lesson learned!

The trees need to move; before I place an ad to see if someone wants to come rescue them I would like to see what's going on with this yellowing.

All along, one has struggled with some yellow foliage close to the trunk... I can only think to call that the underarm hair area - lol. This spring the amount of yellowing increased and those areas are dead or dying now.

Our soil is alkaline (average ph here is around 8) and heavy clay so drainage is poor. We've added quite a bit of organic matter to our gardens, especially the last couple years. The other tree doesn't have this problem but it has a little slope to the side; does that help with drainage? The only other info I can think of is that Winter and Spring were extra dry this year... we were still blessed with our midwinter inversions of sub-zero weather though.

Could it simply be poor drainage? If so, why is it worse now? Is it ph? Would adding elemental sulpher help and what is the best way to apply sulpher? Fertilizer? New compost?
Any advice would help me all around the yard. Whatever it is, could that be the same reason my Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendula' gets a little yellow, too?

Kay

Comments (5)