SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Be careful when changing to a fast draining soil mix

narcnh
11 years ago

In my 'Thank you' post of a few days ago, I wrote about how I changed my soil mix after reading about different options on this forum. Well, I have some sad news that I'll chalk up as one of life's learning experiences and want to share, so others might learn from my mistake. Here goes.

Was so busy in the days leading up to the holidays that I didn't check my plants up close and personal for a while. When I did (ironically, later the same day I posted my 'Thank you'), I found that several had collapsed/shriveled/withered. They were plants that were in the new mixture (1/1/1/2 MG PS/feed grit/gravel/perlite). Some were relatively new plants (this year); some were very established plants I had repotted into the new mix. My house has forced hot air, so it is very dry in winter, and the plants all get a lot of sun, being in unobstructed south-facing windows. In years past with the old soil mix (3/1 MG PS/perlite) I could go a month between waterings. These plants had all been watered only two weeks prior. When I checked with my water meter, they were bone dry. Plants next to them that were in the old mixture were fine (although also dry). It looks like I will have to seriously bump up my watering schedule. Not such a big deal in the winter (I strap on a Chapin 62000 commercial backpack sprayer and have at it), but come summer, when they all go outside, this could be a problem. I travel a lot and am often gone for a week at a time. If this summer is anything like last summer - hot and dry - then it will not bode well for my plants, if the soil holds so little moisture. Am thinking that I may go back to the old mixture, or one with more potting soil, for most plants, reserving the 1/1/1/2 mix for the caudiciforms and some mesembs. Here's the list of casualties. I'd classify all of them as opportunistic growers, except maybe the Avonia (but it was in a very small pot), and all were actively growing before this happened.

Toast
Aloinopsis schoonesii
Avonia recurvata ssp. buderiana
Cephalophyllum alstonii
Cheiridopsis cigarettifera
Crassula 'Buddha's Temple' - trying to root the very tip and a few leaves, but doesn't look good - probably toast, which hurts

Damaged
Aeonium Kiwi & Aeonium Sunburst Pink - lost some lower leaves, but rosettes are fine. Several other aeoniums are in the old mix and had no damage.
Crassula Justus Corderoy - lost several shoots and one main stem (now rooting), but other stems are okay
Fenestraria rhopalophylla ssp. aurantiaca - lost several shoots but plant appears to be sound
Phyllobolus viridiflorus - wilted but came back with water, lost one shoot
Sedum dasyphyllum & S. dasyphyllum Major - lost about half of each, but salvageable
Sedum frutescens - lost several shoots, but main plant is okay
Schwantesia ruedebuschii - lost two of three shoots, but one seems to be okay
Senecio rowleyanus - have one tiny tip that am trying to root and MIGHT make it

To add insult to injury, my Monadenium rubellum, which was in the old mixture, and which, contrary to what its habit is supposed to be (guess it doesn't read), had just bloomed and was still in leaf (so I continued to water lightly), collapsed the same day, clearly from over-watering. Ugh. I'm trying to root the tip. If it takes, will move it over to the new mix.

It's not all bad, several plants are blooming, like Conophytum elisae, and today I saw that my Haworthia retusa v. fouchei is putting out pups. Also my Pleiospilos nelii 'Royal Flush', which is in the new mix, is putting out a new set of leaves. I lost two of these in the past using my old mix. So, life goes on. Just gonna have to adjust my soil mixes and customize to the species (and, of course, water more frequently). Guess there really is no 'one size fits all.'

Not looking for sympathy. Just posting this as an advisory to others. If you change to a fast-draining potting mix, then you better keep an eye on your plants and update your watering schedule as needed. In hindsight, that was/is obvious. But, at the time, well....

Comments (23)