SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_desert

Creative watering when there's no water...ideas?

mrs.desert
18 years ago

I'm hoping that some of you brilliant minds can help me out there! My husband and I purchased an large property in the walhachin area in BC, Canada - just outside of Kamloops if anyone is familiar. Fabulous soil, just no water available - zone 4 and desert conditions (we have cactus and sagebush and that's it). We have to drill a well, but currently don't have the thousands needed to do it (waiting till retirement!). This area used to have apple orchards, but the system for irrigation isn't in place anymore (70 years ago from the river below that we don't have access to). And me being the gardening nut, of course wants to put in drought tolerant trees in A.S.A.P. - but need them watered to get them going!

My questions are then:

1) Has anyone ever successfully used this irrigation system that they use in deserts (saw an article that was out of india), you essentially dig a pit (3 feet down, 2 feet by 2 feet), cover with clear plastic/glass, and when the desert heat starts, it pulls the water from the soil, condenses on the glass and you can "harvest" this water for seedlings. Sounds great, but has anyone ever actually seen it done?

2) We were also thinking that if we could submerge a bucket of water with a lid, cut a hole in the side and stick a wicking material in the hole, that the plant might pull the needed water out slowly - just like those self watering pots. Then we could refill once a month when we visit and camp on it.

Sorry so long, we'd really appreciate the input. I would've posted this on the irrigation forum but they seem to already have lots of water so didn't think it was fitting.

Comments (16)

Sponsored