SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kman04

Favorite dwarf or small Abies

kman04
15 years ago

I was wondering, what's your favorite dwarf or smaller growing cultivar, variety, etc. of Fir tree(Abies sps.)? I'm interested in both favorites as well as favorite ones that I might be able to grow.

Just to give a bit of info on a potential growing site, the soil is clay-loam, full sun to part sun, hot summers in USDA heat zone 8(90-120 days above 86°F(30°C), we get around 90 to 100), usually up and down winters with cold outbreaks interspersed with brief warm spells(temps regularly fluctuate between 0°F and +55°F(-17.8°C and +12.8°C)). Winter minimum is usually 0°F to -5°F(-17.8°C to -20.5°C), but we see -10°F(-23.3°C) or so once every 7 or 8 years. Summer maximum is usually 100°F to 105°F(37.8°C to 40.6°C), but we see 110°F(43.3°C) or so once every 5 or 6 years. OK, so I got a bit carried away with the weather data, but I think helps to point out, I'm in a "different" zone 6b than say on the East coast.

The only Fir trees sold regularly in my area are Canaan Fir(Abies balsamea var. phanerolepis) and White Fir (Abies concolor), if that gives you an idea of how things might survive for me.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting