SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mentha_gw

Don't believe every thing you're told

Mentha
14 years ago

Sometimes big problems come in small pagkages. A few years ago I went to Morro Bay to pick up a huge colony of Crassula jade plants. I was told the reason the plants had to be removed is because of a snail, yes a snail, the Morro Shoulderband snail to be exact. This snail is only supposed to survive in the Morro Bay Estuary and is considered an endangered species. OK, they didn't tell me the snails were there, just that the plants had to be removed because of them. The people I took the plants from had to remove all of their succulents from their vacant lot so that there would be no sign of this snail on their property before they could develop it. Their land was right above the estuary. Now here leads to the problem. The jades had the snails.

Here is my problem. The jade plants have all died, however this snail which is only to survive in Morro Bay has survived in my yard, years later! Hmmmm. What to do? I have a million native snails which are not supposed to survive in my part of the county, all attached to my succulents. Do I kill them? Do I call the county for removal? Do I fry them with a bit of butter? What should I do?

Here is a link that might be useful: snails

Comments (11)