SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Succulents and Friends from Annie's Annuals

mark4321_gw
15 years ago

I've mentioned a few times here that Annie's Annuals and Perennials in Richmond (about 10 miles North of Berkeley) is a great place to buy plants (actually mind-boggling might be a better term for the nursery). Included among their plants are a number of succulents (but no cacti except a couple epiphyllums).

Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the plants that I didn't buy but wanted to--perhaps my biggest regret was not buying Xanthorrhoea preissii (which I *think* would have been $5.80 with the current 20% off sale). I also would have like to have bought Puya alpestris--$8.00, but I don't have the room. I love this plant.) and Puya venusta at $4.20. And there were many others.

Here's what I did buy--6 plants for less than $25. My current plan is to keep only the Oxalis gigantea (Christmas is coming), although that may change...

When I refer to "friends", I mean a couple plants (Echium wildpretii and Cussonia spicata) that grow arround succulents (Canary Islands and S. African) and are for example found in the Desert garden at the Huntington.

All plants are in 4 inch (10 cm) pots.

Echium wildpretii $3.40

For those who aren't familiar with this guy, he produces a massive inflorescence 6-10 feet tall--one of the most spectacular flowering plants in my opinion. Here are some pictures--they claim that one is 18 feet tall!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/61432/

Aeonium percaneum $3.40

Dudleya pulverulenta (California native, rosettes 1 foot +) $3.40

Oxalis gigantea $4.20

Graptopetalum paraguayense ÂPinky $4.20

Cussonia spicata (note the caudex) $5.80

I may have to keep the Cussonia.

The prices above include a 20% sale (which may have ended). Total before tax for the 6 plants = $24.40.

They do have mail order, however prices are much higher and the base rate for shipping outside of the West coast is $28. Plus you don't get to pick the best one out of the dozens of each kind.

A truly wonderful nursery. In some ways I'm glad it's 60 miles from me, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Annuals and Perennials

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm