SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Meyer Lemon Blooming But Not Growing?

narcnh
18 years ago

Greetings,

This is my first post to this forum, although I have used it as an information source for several months. Now, I have a few questions that I hope can be answered here. First, some background.

This past spring I bought four dwarf citrus trees from Four Winds Growers: a Trovita Orange, an Improved Meyer Lemon, a Bearss Seedless Lime and a Kaffir Lime. All were one-year old plants. All went into 10-inch plastic pots with water reservoirs containing a mixture of 2/3 Sams Choice basic potting soil from Wal-Mart and 1/3 masonry sand. The pots were out all summer on the black asphalt apron in front of my garage on the south-facing side of the house, where they received full sun all day and basically baked on the asphalt. I know reservoir pots are not recommended, but given that the trees baked on the asphalt, I thought it a good choice to offset the heat and none of the trees seemed to show any signs of being waterlogged. All trees were staked. They were watered sparingly, although we had some heavy rains, which also soaked the pots pretty well. All appeared healthy and all but the Meyer lemon put out new growth.

In late October (one day before our first frost) I moved all four pots indoors to a southern exposure window on the third floor of my house. The third floor, while finished, is generally not heated in the winter, but stays at around 60 during the day, due to heat rising from the lower floors. IÂm sure it drops into the 50Âs at night. The trees receive unobstructed southern sun. The trees have never been fertilized, except for whatever time release fertilizer was originally in the soil. The trees are watered about every 10 days to two weeks as the soil dries out (finger test).

Since moving indoors, all but the Meyer lemon have put out significant new growth, even more than when they were outside. The trees have about doubled in size. All, that is, except the Meyer lemon, which has never put out so much as a single new leaf, since I received it. However, since coming indoors it has been blooming almost constantly. When I moved it inside I saw buds that I thought might be new leaves, but turned out to be flower buds, so it was getting ready to bloom while outside. It is still blooming and still sending out new buds. But, it has not put out a single new leaf and is the same size as the day I received it. It hasnÂt dropped a single leaf, either (most of the trees have not dropped any leaves). It looks quite stunted when compared to the other trees around it. Its leaves are slightly yellow as compared to the other trees, but have been that way since I received it. The plants have been relatively pest free, although I just saw some aphids for the first time and have sprayed with a pyrethrin/canola oil combination. All four trees did put out some suckers from the root stock off and on during the summer, but none have done so, since they were moved indoors.

So, I have what appear to be healthy trees that are growing well, even in the winter. But, the Meyer lemon is the odd duck of the group, and I donÂt know what I should do about it, if anything.

Questions:

1) Is this lack of new growth normal for a tree, particularly a Meyer lemon? If not, is there anything I should do?

2) Is it normal for a one and a half year old Meyer lemon to be blooming so much? If it sets any fruit, should I remove it, so it can put more energy into new growth?

3) I plan to purchase some acidic fertilizer and begin fertilizing the plants, but will have to wait until the gardening section opens in a few weeks. In the interim, can I use a dilute house plant fertilizer (12-4-8)?

4) Come spring, when the trees go back outside, will they be ready to be repotted into larger pots, say 12 or 14-inch? Given the amount of new growth, IÂm assuming their root systems are pretty well-developed.

5) Will they continue to need to be staked, or will they eventually become self-supporting? From some of the pics I have seen posted, I am thinking the latter, but canÂt be sure.

6) I also have a dwarf pomegranate that blooms almost constantly, but has never set any fruit, although it is reported to be self-pollinating. Does anyone have any tips for this plant?

Thanks for any and all advice and help.

narcnh

Comments (11)