SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

The great watering season of 2010...

Well, Spring and Summer are slowly arriving here in the Pacific Northwest and for me, that means two things: A very happy time tending and watching plants, conifers, maples and hostas grow, but also a tremendous race against the sun to provide my thirsty landscape with water.

My idea was to have a 'watering free' landscape in the future and I think in a few years I'll accomplish that goal, but in the meantime I have pushed my budget, my back and the square inches of my .7 acres to the max and now have an enormous amount of plants that will need water at least twice a week for the next five months.

While the PNW is often considered a gardeners paradise with mild, wet winters and generally 'cool' summers with low humidity, there is one enormous obstacle for a plant collector here - rain, or in this case, lack thereof. Throughout most of the rest of the country, moisture is relatively evenly distributed over all months with many places averaging about 3" of rain(or feet of snow) in every month.

Here's just a basic illustration of three major cities and their monthly rain averages:

Month

Rain totals (Newyork/Chicago/Seattle)

January......3.8/2.2/5.4

February.....3.1/1.3/4.1

March........4.3/3.0/3.9

April........4.6/3.6/2.7

May..........5.1/3.7/2.0

June.........4.4/4.3/1.5

July.........4.3/3.7/0.8

August.......4.4/3.9/0.9

September....4.8/3.7/1.6

October......4.1/3.9/3.3

November.....4.4/3.3/5.6

December.....3.5/2.6/6.0

As dramatically seen above, New York City and Chicago both average about the same amount of rain year round. Our summers here are 'desert' dry - great for playing outdoors and wonderful for plants in nurseries with watering systems but hard on landscaping plants.

In addition, due to our northern lattitude location, Seattle receives about 2 hours more daylight during peak Summer months then Southern cities like Dallas and L.A.

For plants, this means a constant 'warm' sun beating down on them day in and day out for 3-4 months straight with little or no water from the heavens.

I started gardening two Summers ago and my conifer, Japanese maple and now Hosta collections has grown in leaps and bounds(1150 conifers, 360 JM's and 240 hostas - but who's counting). While I love the results and the 'finished' satisfaction, now I become a water sheppard for my enormous flock of very needy plants.

2012 can't come soon enough!

-Will

Comments (12)