SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daylilypsych

Who's ordering what?

Cindy zone 6a
15 years ago

So I've spent the last few months planning and plotting, motivated by the alphabet soup and all the pics on this forum. So this is what I have ordered so far.

From Marietta

Brookwood Black Kitten

Buckyballs , Caribbean Frank League

Smoking Gun , Calico Jack

Licorice Candy , Watership Down

Chief of Staff

From Champion Daylilies

Peggy Jeffcoat , Moonlit Masquerade

Cobalt Dawn , El Desperado

On To Something , Volusian Spider

From Delano Daylilies

Awesome Candy , Cinderella's Dark Side

Chinese Watercolor , Swashbuckler Bay Boy

Blueberry Sundae , Starman's Quest

And I ordered from Gilbert Wild (really cheap, read the reviews on Dave's Garden I know I may get smaller plants, but that's OK)

Daring Deception , Ed Brown

Ice Carnival , Nanuq

What are you all ordering and from where? Just curious.

I'm getting ready for my 'big' order with Daylily Manor.

Joined AHS have my voucher ready to go!!!!

Comments (36)

• Edward_Kimball
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The big ones are Gentleman's Lady (Moldovan 2005) and Spacecoast Southern Belle (Kinnebrew 2006). These are the two I bought for hybridizing. I am picking up a couple for my wife too: Alicia Rose Kissed (Quarry 2001) and Geneva Firetruck (Hansen 2001). That leaves a holdover from last year that is spending the winter in my mother-inlaw's garden: Moonlight Sail (Stamile 2005). I have been pretty restrained this year.

• deangreen
    15 years ago

from marietta;

Siloam bones londagin
    siloam fashion quilt

very excited to add them somewhere in the garden

• Related Discussions

What happens when the rose you ordered isn't what you ordered?

Q

Comments (10)
    Believe it or not I got Ducher instead of Duchess of Brabant last week. That is really funny. Same exact problem but, I got mine from Chamblee's. Luckily, I noticed it 2 days later when I was planting it. I called them right up and they apologized and sent me my Duchess on Monday. It should be here by Thursday. The best part was they told me to keep Dutcher. Of course, being that they were sending another order, I had to add to it. It must be a label thing as when I first opened the Box and looked at all the Labels I didn't notice it either. I think we both got lucky as I've done some homework on Dutcher and think we'll grow to like him. Dan
    ...See More

I did good with my Marietta Gardens Order

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey Rita, I was in NC just a couple weekends ago (May 1-4), and I took the time to drive from Raleigh to Marietta Gardens. It was so lovely, and Faye was just a hoot. Great lady to talk to. There was nothing in bloom, but she still drove me around to look at fans of a bunch that I have been thinking on buying. Just fun to talk daylilies. I picked up a few (more) from her. I told her that I knew you were getting an order, and she said she remembered you. :o) We were talking shop about the Lily Auction and other online sites. So glad you got a nice order. I got Searching for Blue as my bonus - tried for Jellymaker, she got a good hardy laugh out of that! :o) Can't blame a girl for trying.
    ...See More

Ordering Figs. Who from?

Q

Comments (10)
    Celeste makes the best fig preserves. At one time there were many orchards of that variety which were used to support a canning industry in Louisiana. In Texas, Brunswick (AKA Magnolia) is the fig of choice for making preserves. Brunswick figs need to be picked before they are fully ripe in order for them to hold together properly for a good preserve. In California they use the variety known as Kadota. Years ago, Dr. O'Rourke at LSU bred a mother Celeste fig tree with a male capri fig in an attempt to produce a better fig for the fig canning industry that was in Louisiana. His LSU Improved Celeste fig turned out to be a much better fig for making fig preserves than the old Celeste strain. Unfortunately a true LSU Improved Celeste is very hard to find as it is often confused with the O'Rourke variety that is sold at some nurseries. The O'Rourke fig too came out of the LSU fig breeding program. LSU Improved Celeste and O'Rourke are two completely different figs and the names are definitely not interchangeable as many people believe. Both are excellent figs. However, the edge goes to LSU Improved Celeste for fresh eating and making excellent preserves.
    ...See More

Anyone order a custom shower pan? If so, from who?

Q

Comments (11)
    I just replaced a leaky tiled shower (home is only 4 yrs old) with a custom solid surface pan. The guy that came in and templated for the pan was a perfectionist and I watched him like a hawk. The walls are being tiled (by a different tile man that used Kerdi). The bathroom is destroyed right now and I don't have any pictures to show you. But, the shower pan is really pretty. Not cheap looking at all. Just blends in which is what I wanted. It has kind of a textured bottom and the wall tile goes all the way to the floor. No grout lines and a really good match to the wall tile that I picked out. I was shocked at the price. My shower is an odd shaped neoangle and the pan was 2400. but I just bit the bullet and paid it. Long sad story after replacing the tiled pan twice by an incompetent tiler. Here's a link to the product that we used. It is called Alantra. It is solid as a rock. I'll get pics when my bathroom is not such a mess. Here is a link that might be useful: solid surface pan
    ...See More
  • kimkats
    15 years ago

I Have a number of things coming from several differnt sources on the LA.
    Primal Scream
    Parrot Jungle
    Johnny Cash
    Lake Effect
    Spacecoast Sea Shells
    Brer Rabbit's Baby
    Cleopatra's Jewel
    Gavin Petit
    Tangerine Horses
    Jim Cooper Memorial
    Egyptian Queen
    Wild Cherry Round up
    Spavcecoast Sensation
    Spacecoast Small Talk
    Lillian's Womans Touch
    Blackberries & Cream
    Jordan Verhaert
    Mary Ethel Anderson(I picked it up for 2.00)
    I kinda overdid it but I still have more I NEED. I would Almost kill for Anna Maria Margetts but not enough dinero for her.
    I'm also waiting to see what Dan @ Ladybug puts on sale in April, before I commit to just what I'm going to order from them. There are already some sweet deals in his bargain basement listings!!!
    I'm already brioke but that is not necessarily a deterrent, but I do Have 5 kittens to get fixed in March so that might curtail my lily spending some.

I can't wait till spring!!!!!!!!
    Kim

• tarheelbelle
    15 years ago

These are coming from Maryott's in June (hope I can wait that long):
    Rosy Rhino
    Spiny Sea Urchin
    Jerry Nettles
    Cortina
    Beautiful Ballerina
    Spacecoast Sea Shells

From Patron Gardens end of March:
    Halloween Hocus Pocus
    No More Tears
    Lavender Fantasia
    Party Pinafore
    Royal Renaissance

A local garden:
    Dutchman's Puzzle
    Jamaican Music
    Fashion Leader
    Fluttering Beauty
    Insider Trading
    Mary Alice Stokes

And some from the Lily Auction (where I have no business looking)coming in April:
    Roman Cohort
    Fire On The Mountain
    Blues Music
    Tahoe
    Lyrical Ballad
    Southern Wind
    Queen's Coronation

I can't wait til spring either!!!
    Michelle

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

I'm very restrained so far this year.
    from Floyd Cove:
    Blushing Octopus
    Fantasy Eyes

but I can't help but find a few others cause I keep peaking at the auctions.

• baileycat
    15 years ago

I have no business getting anything.....no room; however
    Korth
    Cantaloupe Stampede
    Forever Rosemary
    Face Dancer

Floyd Cove
    Butterfly collection

LA
    Breath of Fresh Air
    Dreamsicle Supreme
    Memorable Kiss
    Rock Candy
    Over the Mountain
    Off to the Races
    Lonesome Heart
    Rose Colored Glasses
    Sister of Praise
    Linda Beck
    Sophisticated Ruffles
    Seventy Times Seven
    Sherry Candy
    Winter Romance
    Katharine Marin
    Zahadoom

There's more; but I don't have the list in front of me.

• floota
    15 years ago

This is one I've ordered from John Rice for spring. Saw it in his greenhouse last summer - couldn't read the name tag : -( When I saw it on his catalog cover, knew it was the same one I'd seen and ordered it. The name of this is ARNETTE ZAPEL, named after a daylily friend in Reg. 10.
    {{gwi:664747}}

• ladydonna
    15 years ago

IS IT SPRING YET????
    Oh well...I am trying to be patient. The weather here is warm one day and then a day or two later it's back to being cold again. The plants are going nuts. And so am I.....
    here's my list I just mailed off for today!

From Wynn's Daylily Garden in FL.

Awakening Dream
    Baffin Bay Beauty
    Big Sur
    Bold Encounter
    Cezanne
    Classic Edge
    Flower Shop
    Francis of Assisi
    Geneva Firetruck
    Guinea Jubilee
    King Of Masks
    Mask of Time
    Mildred Mitchell
    Roses In Snow
    Santiago Heat
    Wispy Rays

Hope I made some good picks. There are too many to choose from when it comes to daylilies.

Donna

• ladydonna
    15 years ago

Looked up ARNETTE ZAPEL on Tinkers but its not there...is it registered? It's gorgeous!

• floota
    15 years ago

It is either a 2008 registration ( which is not on the AHS data base yet) or it will be a 2009 registration. John complies with AHS registration procedures!

• lynxe
    15 years ago

Well, that did it. I'd been dithering all winter about placing an order from the Rices. Had too many on the want list, so (naturally) I did precisely nothing about it. But one look at that picture of floota's and I immediately got on the phone to order ARNETTE ZAPPEL!

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

Yes, Arnette Zappel is on the AHS database. Its a 2007 registration:
    Arnette Zapel (Rice-JA, 2007)
    height 25", bloom 5.5", season EM, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid, 20 buds, 4 branches, Purple violet with cream white eye above green throat. (Jamie Dockery × sdlg)

It's a beauty.

Just as an FYI, they are entering 2008 and 2009 on the AHS database with a notification as an example "[future, pending publication in 2009]" or whatever year it will be registered in. Something new they have started doing. Only the name and hybridizer name are listed along with the notification of future, pending publication etc.

Julia

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

oooops, I just noticed something.
    Is it possible they have two dl's with the same name being registered at different times???

The one I posted above is from AHS database. But I do notice that Thoroughbred has it listed on their website as a 09 intro and the description is different.
    From their website:
    ARNETTE ZAPEL
    (Rice '09) 5.5" x 24", TET, 3-4 br, 30 buds, mid season, sev Striking cream applique eye contrasts dramatically as it splashes onto the plum violet petals.

Julia

• aunt_lou
    15 years ago

This is what I have ordered so far:

Oakes:
    Tuscawilla Tigress
    Brocaded Gown
    Orange Vols

Northern Lights:
    Victorian Lace
    Lavender Perfection

Marietta:
    Bubble Yummin Mama
    Beautiful Edgings
    Cimarron Rose
    Clothed in Glory

also along with my yearly plant order from Bluestone:
    Buttered Popcorn
    Amazing Grace

I can hardly wait until spring!

Sandra

• Cindy zone 6a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I enjoyed all the lists/ but it reminded me that I needed to check with Ladybug also. Alot of you are receiving ones I still have on wish lists.
    Baileycat, the Butterfly Collection from Cove, you will have to post pics when they are blooming, I stared at that collection for a long time.!!! I thought I might wait on Maryotts, just to see if they will do the BOGO again in August, by then I will have 'discovered' more room in my gardens.
    Donna, Those are all great picks!! At least 6 from your list I will order from Daylily Manor, and several I decided I NEEDED because I saw pics on this forum.
    Oh, Man, Michelle, Halloween Hocus Pocus and Spacecoast Sea Shells, gotta have those. I really like the eyes. I feel another order happening. Someone should start a thread on Eyed DL, I don't have many yet, but I'm working on it. Would love to see pics that others have.
    And Kim, I'm right there with you, I have 3 foster kitties I'm keeping right now , had them fixed and clearing up some minor medical issues. Oh, I'm going to keep one, just have to cause he's just so friendly after everything he's been through. It will cut into my DL money , but it's worth it, gotta do what you gotta do.
    I have 'peeked' at the auction, but I am restraining myself cause I have a feeling about how that will go. (Like in I would have to get a 2nd job!!!!!!!)
    So, do you all think it is really, really good? I just need a little more pushing to make the jump. I'm still browsing all of the great mail order gardens out there, and planning summer trips to some that are a little closer. ( right now 4 hour drive is my limit on a garden visit )

I rambled , got off topic sorry bout that!!! , Cindy

• drgulley
    15 years ago

I was a very bad girl this fall. Will somebody take those catalogs away from me? :O)

Floyd Cove:
    Talledaga
    Orange Grove
    Last Snowflake
    Little Blue Belle
    Zahadoom

Phil Korth:
    Music Monkey

Mary Jane Meadows:
    Westbourne Mama Kirby's Baby
    Westbourne A Big Hug for Momma Kirby

Blueridge:
    Pink Aloha

Dianne

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

I've been ordering a little here and there all winter and I'm getting so many from my wishlist. So far, I have 75 daylilies coming but I plan to get at least a couple more orders in and I watch the LA so you never know.
    I'm in love with so many of the oldies plus I'm starting a collection of WILD daylilies. The hybridizer WILD. :-)) Of course I love a lot of the newer ones too but the oldies are easier on the pocket book, there-for I can afford even more of them. :-P What's that saying? One's too many and a thousands never enough! "Grin"

Here's what I'm excited about getting in the spring...so far...

From Critter Creek Farms...
    Caramba (Bryant 1985)
    Fruit Loops (Wild 1980)
    Julia's Choice (Wall 1986)
    Sunny Son (Love 1994)
    Wispy Rays (Joiner 1998)

From Daylilies By The Pond...
    Double Tour Time (Brown 1981)
    Fanciful Finery (KIRCHHOFF 1984)
    Fuchsia Four (REINKE 1995)
    Highland Pinched Fingers (TOLL 1991)
    Indian Sky (FARRIS 1963)
    Jessica Lillian (CHILDS 1980)
    Maymont Double (LARCH 1991)
    Savannah Knockout (JOINER 1991)

From Daylily Manor...
    ARTIST'S FAVORITE (Wild 1981)
    BUDDY BENZ (Wild 1971)
    DAFFY DUCK (Wild 1982)
    JAN'S TWISTER (Joiner 1991)
    PRESIDENT ALLINDER (COUTURIER 2000)

From Daylilies Of Kenefick...
    Best of friends (SPALDING 1975)
    Butterfly Kisses (Wild 1976)
    Gentle Blessing (Wild 1981)
    School Girl (Wild 1954)
    Something (Wild 1967)

From Falcon Gardens on Ebay
    BRITISH MORNING (Shooter 1995)
    MOJAVE SUNSET (Stamile 1986)

From Plantstoshare on Ebay
    EMERALD EYE (Lambert 1970)
    Latin Lover (Wild 1975)

From Smokey's Daylilies...
    American Revolution (Wild 1972)
    BALI HAI (Wild 1973)
    Ben Arthur Davis (Wild 1972)
    Boagie (Wild 1982)
    Lake Norman Sunset (Carpenter 1979)
    LOUISE MERCER (Joiner 1973)
    Mormon (Roberson 1977)
    Royal Elk (Lake 1957)
    Spring Charm (Hall 1955)

From Brooks on the LA...
    DOUBLE CONCH SHELL (Stamile 1987)
    LEMON LIME RADIANCE (CARPENTER 1996)
    THREE TIERS (GROOMS 1971)
    VOLUSIAN SPIDER (TRIMMER 2001)

From Cheryladay on the LA...
    Coral Corduroy (Carpenter 1992)
    Do See Do (Wild 1966)
    FUCHSIA DREAM (KIRBY 1978)
    Just For Fun (Anderson 1988)

From Cheryl Day's Website...
    Candy Apple (Wild 1972)
    Dresden Beauty (Wild 1977)
    Oriental Princess (WILD-STUTSON 1964)
    Victorian Fantasy (Wild 1985)

From Dablaw on the LA (Still watching for more to add to my box)
    GEORGE CALEB BINGHAM (Wild 1978)

From Possumhollow on the LA (also ordered from her website Delano Daylilies)
    Dixie Rooster (Roberts 2003)

From Dalano Daylilies...
    DOUBLE PASSION (Brown 1973) (She said she give me this one as a bonus)
    Golliwog (Wild 1983)
    Jim's Pick (Wild 1971)
    MADONNA'S SMILE (Wild 1980)
    Mule Ears (TARRANT 1974)
    Wild One (Wild 1978)

From Hemnuts on the LA...
    BRIANA JOY (BALASH-BAILEY 1994)
    SELMA LONGLEGS (Herrington 1988)

From Judyann on the LA...
    GRETA (KREKLER 1976)

From Stlitz on the LA...
    Anne Evan (Yancey 1985)
    Jean Wise (Joiner 1982)

From Simonton Bridge Daylily Farm...
    CAPTAIN HOOK (Lester 1969)
    CHESTER CYCLONE (Blakely 1972)
    CREEPY CRAWLER (Hite 1973)
    DANCING LIONS (Benzinger 1971)
    FOUR STAR (Kropf-Tankesley-Clarke1988)
    LOIS BURNS (Temple 1986)
    LOOK HERE MARY (Cranshaw 1986)
    PRAIRIE SATAN (Marsh 1965)
    RIBBONETTE (Lennington 1951)
    SATCHMO (Lambert 1971)

Plus, I have these coming from a trade...
    EMMA'S HEART STOPPER (Chandler 1997)
    GREY WITCH (Reed 1999)
    HEAVENLY CURLS (Gossard 2000)
    OAKE'S LOVE (Hansen 1994)
    WILD AND WONDERFUL (Stamile 2002)
    I'm hoping to get more trades going this year too.

I'm planning to get these from Marietta's but haven't yet...

Caldera (Lambert 1993)
    Sister Cindy (Shooter 2002) (My sister's name is Cindy and this is the prettiest 'Cindy' Daylily I could find in my price range.

And I thought I went over-board last year! Ha..
    If anyone can share their experience with growing any of these, I'd love to hear.

Joy

• kimkats
    15 years ago

JOY
    I ONLT GROW ONE ON YOUR LIST - MORMON.
    IT'S A REALLY NICE SHAPE AND COLOR BUT TENDS TO BLOOM LOW INTO THE FOLIAGE. IT HAS NICE INCREASE AND I SET A FEW PODS ON IT LAST YEAR. OH AND BY THE WAY IT THRIVES ON ABSOLUTE NEGLECT. IT GETS ORGANIC FERTILZER IN THE SPRING IF I REMEMBER AND ONLY THE WATER MOTHER NATURE PROVIDES AND STILL DOES WELL, I JUST WISH THE SCAPES WERE A FEW INCHES TALLER.
    HAPPY GARDENING -KIM

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Mormon Kim.Other than the short scapes it sounds like a winner.
    Maybe those seeds will produce plants with all of Morman's good qualities but with taller scapes for you.

Joy

• floota
    15 years ago

I started out with a lot of the Wild daylilies on your list, but they have all left here over the years. I currently grow GREY WITCH ( wonderful color, increases like a rabbit here!) and HEAVENLY CURLS ( you will love this once it is established; gorgeous form); WISPY RAYS is super, as is DOUBLE CONCH SHELL, one of Pat Stamile's good older doubles. I don't grow DANCING LIONS but it was hybridized by Fred Benzinger who lives nearby and I have seen it looking great in a lot of gardens around the area. WILD AND WONDERFUL is great, I don't think it is pod fertile if you hybridize. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

• Cindy zone 6a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are going to be so many great pics coming up
    Well, I did feel another order coming on and I did it.
    I had forgotten about Dan at Ladybug so I ordered and got confirmation all are available!!

I ordered
    Candie Dwyer
    Great White
    Jungle Butterfly
    Lee Pickles
    Pat Garrity

Then I placed my DaylilyManor order today for
    Admirals Braid
    Catcher in the Eye
    Clothed in Glory
    Kansas Kitten
    Terry Lyninger
    Enchanted Rainbow
    Cindy's Eye ( Gotta have it )
    Bamboo Blackie ( for my black and white bed )
    China Lake
    Drop Cloth

My first order will be shipped April 13th, then I will have an order shipped every Monday for the next three Mondays after that. It will be great!!

Only 18 days till spring.

Cindy

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

Floota, Thank you for sharing your experience.
    It was very helpful.

Cindy, Oooh, You're getting some nice ones.

I placed a small order with nrb44 on Ebay for a couple daylilies that have been on my wish list for awhile now. I had read that they're good to deal with.

HELAMAN (Roberson 1981)
    YELLOW TWAIN (Webster 1996)

There's just too many I'm lusting for. "G"

We're still getting frosts overnight but I see lots of plants poking out from their slumber. Crocuses are blooming. Spring is near.

• joespider
    15 years ago

I trued to restrain myself this year but like usual i bought quite a few. The best ones i bought are White Eyes Pink Dragon and Purple Cheatah

• blue23rose
    15 years ago

Some other plants must go eventually to make room for these lovelies. I do sooooo envy those of you who have ordered a slew of daylilies. I have ordered:
    Awesome Blossom
    Border Music
    Francis of Assisi
    Lingering Loveliness
    Spacecoast Pink Lady
    Wedding Band

• noeyw
    15 years ago

I'm trying to behave myself this year. I have placed one order, from Marietta's:

DESTINED TO SEE
    MISSOURI MORNING MELODY
    PARTY PINAFORE
    CHILI SPICE
    SOUTH SEAS
    ROSE MASTERPIECE

Other than that, I'm just hoping to find Damascan Velvet for sale somewhere. Most places I've seen that have it are not selling it. I find it, get all excited, and then realize it's display only. :-( I'm crossing my fingers that when Eclectic updates its list for 2009, it's available for purchase.

• excuria
    15 years ago

I broke my own rule about ordering in the fall for spring shipping - and ordered just one:

Blue Desire

Renee

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

I have quite a few ordered for the spring and just got my first order today. Bought Talladega from Floyd Cove and I think it's the largest fan I've ever seen and I've bought hundreds of dl's before. I received Chang Dynasty (3 fans) as a bonus, so, my planting season has begun! :)
    Photos from Floyd Cove...Talladega first.
    {{gwi:664748}}
    Chang Dynasty next.
    {{gwi:664749}}
    Jan

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Wow, I agree... there are going to be some wonderful pics next year! I will be really anxious to see how TALLAGEDA and the BUTTERFLY COLLECTION do. They were on my list but I chose to pass this year to see how they do for others.

I feel like the queen of restraint this spring. I only have a few coming:

Marietta Gardens:
    ADA MAY MUSICK
    BUBBLE YUMMIN MAMA
    CAT SCRATCH

Lily Auction:
    SOUTH SEAS
    HIDDEN RAINBOW
    LAVENDER RAINBOW
    GALLANT HOUR

I am still considering picking up LAST SNOWFLAKE, but so far have had a hard time parting with the $$.

Julie

(PS, I guess it is only fair to come clean and tell you that the "queen of restraint" is able to be such as she ordered and planted around 75 new kids last fall! )

• bderm1234
    15 years ago

Joy,
    I grow a quite a number of old Wild daylilies. My mom bought from them when the Wild family still owned the business. They used to have a lot of their plants on a list, if you picked $100 worth you paid $50, so she bought a lot. We still grow all of those and a whole lot more and newer cultivars on the family farm in Indiana.
    They have all done very well there. Most of them are dormants.
    BUTTERFLY KISSES, GENTLE BLESSING(still a great white),SCHOOL GIRL(a favorite--have it in a front yard bed,smaller flower, but a beauty),BEN ARTHUR DAVIS(a very large flower, lovely pastel),JIM'S PICK(will probably always have this one,love it--one of the first edge-no-eye),GOLLIWOG. All have done very well, are huge clumps at the farm now.
    MOJAVE SUNSET--beautiful huge bloom, very vigorous
    LAKE MORMAN SUNSET--another very pretty flower
    FUCHSIA DREAM--can't beat the color and I like UF's
    LOIS BURNS--giant spidery type yellow
    GREY WITCH--fairly new to my garden--doing well even in the shade
    All of these have been great plants for us.
    OAKE'S LOVE--this one died for me, didn't have a very good garden position, but I didn't replace it--an EV and they can be iffy for me.
    My daughter lived in Olympia for 4 years. I sent her some daylilies. Two oldies LADY NEVA and HUDSON VALLEY did fantastic for her. Her clumps were so big when she left that she divided them and gave a bunch of them away. She was afraid that the new owners might not appreciate them and might destroy them, so she left some, but the biggest share went to friends who would care for them. They both have huge blooms. If you don't have those two, you might consider them. Her's loved the Wa climate.

Beth
    Zone 5, Illinois

• blue23rose
    15 years ago

Beth, I can vouch for Lady Neva even though I haven't had it very long. It's a late bloomer here in southern Indiana and it really lengthens the season for me.
    {{gwi:664750}}

• bluenosens
    15 years ago

Every time we have another winter storm I want to order more...12 storms so far[including a bad ice storm]...mild today and here are just some I've ordered: Saber Tooth Tiger, Buzz Saw, Julie Newmar[thanks for all the comments to those who posted on her]....Joyful Soul, Moon Jazz, August Wedding Celestial Army, Green Mystique, Northern Splender, Wren's Song, Isle of Man, Kit& Kaboodle[new intro from Penny Manning[Ballpoint Gardens], Get Your SHine On, Instant Celebration, Lemon Fringed Pastel, Mary's Baby, Ruth Parish, Smile Again, and a bunch of otheres plus a bunch of Munsons.....okay..I'll learn retraint...a new roof this fall will slow my buying down[at last]...cheers, everyone hurry spring....lloyd..you have all ordered a lot of great plants...I've got to learn how to post pics.....looking forward to all you summer pics

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

I have got to stay off of that auction! I was doing so good considering my lack of space. The largest holes in the garden beds I plan to fill with seedlings. Now I've ordered more that are really going to be crammed in once they all grow to clump size....but my dear friend Robin Calderon of Earlybird Daylilies has been posting on the auctions again and I just had to poke around her website...like I had any business doing so.

Here's what's coming in addition to my previous post:
    Alaqua (beautiful eye)
    Atlanta Fringe Benefit (my first toothy edge)
    Betty Bennett Brown (very pretty dip edge-no-eye)
    Butterscotch Charm (my first ee + re for season extender)
    Double River Wye (my first Kropf double)
    Earth Angel (beautiful form & gold edge)
    Fancy Face (love Jack Carpenter's diploids)
    Marie Hooper Memorial (again J. Carpenter HUGE (8.25") dip)
    Penny Earned (my first true mini, also ee + re)
    Seductor (nice clear red)
    Sombrero Way (my first Reckamp)
    Zella Virginia (another first Kropf)

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlybird Daylilies

• drgulley
    15 years ago

I just received my order from Floyd Cove this week and OMG the fans on Talladega, Last Snowflake and Zahadoom are huge!!! Jan you are right, I think Talledaga is the biggest daylily fan that I have seen too.

Talladega

{{gwi:664751}}

Last Snowflake

{{gwi:664752}}

Zahadoom

{{gwi:664753}}

Dianne

• floota
    15 years ago

I don't mean for this to sound derogatory in any way, but those large fans will "shrink" as they become acclimated to "regular" gardens and quit getting the massive doses of fertilizer and water they've been getting. I've been ordering from Floyd Cove since 1998 and they always send great orders, but these large plants won't stay that way after a few months! Looking forward to getting TALLEDAGA, GET JIGGY, WATER DROPS, FRINGY..( I forget) but it will be another 5 or 6 weeks before the weather is good enough here to plant daylilies. We got wet snow yesterday! Spring can't get here soon enough.

• lynxe
    15 years ago

TALLADEGA sure is eye-catching.(understatement!) If I thought I'd see an edge even remotely like the one in the catalog, I'd order it in a heartbeat. But alas, Pennsylvania and Florida are two very different animals. I'll be very interested to see what it looks like when grown in northern gardens.

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Yes, I am sure they will shrink some once they get established but I was just making the comment on how big they are compared to some of the other places I have bought from. I do fertilize quite a bit myself and I have some daylilies that do get pretty big. I think it also has to do with being in the south. We don't really have a winter most of the time. I was just looking at some daylilies yesterday that I bought from Washington recently and put the one's I got from Floyd Cove next to them and what a difference!

Dianne