SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
token28001

OT: Your job?

token28001
15 years ago

What do you do when you're not gardening? What kind of work do you do? If you're retired (lucky you), what did you do? Does it fit with your gardening style or does gardening help you forget the daily grind?

Me, I was trained as an architect, but I build architectural models instead of designing buildings. I found it a better fit because I can use my hands and my brain. I've also found it translates easily to gardening. While the models I build are all very precise, gardening allows me a chance to be a lot less anal-retentive. Still, the planning part of my work is carried over into gardening. Time management helps too. Not to mention the ability to mix colors due to a couple semesters of color theory in college.

Architecture, to me, is about creating spaces for people to experience. It's not just about building homes and offices and shops. Architecture is about experiences and views and texture and color and...well, everything gardening is for me. Good architecture incorporates sights, sounds, feelings, and emotions. Gardening does the same.

Cottage gardening just allows me to be more free planning with where things go. And it allows more surprises whether planned or those really cool ones that just happen. You turn a corner and BAM! You see something totally unexpected but it just feels right.

Comments (38)

Sponsored