SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
opnjmprs

Seed starting ......what I should have done and didn't

opnjmprs
16 years ago

I recently have been reminded that there are just some things you should not do in haste. I omitted adding a couple amendments to my potting mix this year, and am now paying the price for not taking the time to go to the garden supply store and get what I normally would have used before planting my seeds. The Epsom salt that I normally add, the sulfer that I normally add, the soil conditioner that I normally add, and the dolomitic lime that I usually add were used up so I just went on my merry way and potted seeds anyway. Payback as they say is a real _____! Several days ago I noticed a shift in the color of my seedlings, as they started to take on a chartreuse coloration. Many were beginning to show signs of interveinal chlorosis....the youngest growth showing the most extreme discoloration (some of which had paled to near yellow. Over the course of the next couple days I began to see leaf tip scorch on the older leaves and marginal scorch on some of the taller leaves. Put the ole moisture gauge down deep into a couple of my cups and the needle moved to the high side of wet. First thing I did was drain my reservoirs completely. Then since I had been giving my plants dilute 20-20-20 after they reached 4" height (they got that once every 7 days), but I think the overly wet soil was not allowing for proper uptake of nutrients. So I took a couple pots of less concerned about seedlings and decided to experiment. First thing I tried was chelated iron in a foliar spray....nothing. And that's when I remembered that if the plant is deplete in magnesiun it will not be able to take up iron even if it is suffering from iron deficiency. So I mixed a very small amount of epsom salt in a half gallon of water and watered the plants and then waited 5-6 hours. I then applied dilute chelated iron to the leaves again and sure enough the green began to return first darkening the veins and then the leaf tips on down. I was still struggling on the leaf tip wilt/scorch and marginal necrosis in the older leaves. I took a ph meter and tested a soil sample from one of my cups. The ph read in the 6.4 Â 6.6 range. I talked to a couple AG professionals who suggested trying a light foliar application of calcium nitrate. So far the scorch has come to a complete stop. Two days now since doing this and the plants are starting to look normal again, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I will not be making these mistakes again....it's better to do it right from the start. This is the first time I have ever encountered this many problems occuring at such a rapid pace. And from now on, I will NEVER bottom water if I don't have soil conditioner or pine bark fines mixed in with my ProMix potting soil.

Linda

Comments (5)