SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyyife

Has anyone had problems with skinks (not skunks) damaging plants?

armyyife
13 years ago

I posted this in the rose forum but thought I would ask here too. I have blue skinks that burrow deep leaving a quarter sized diameter hole. I have found several of these holes around 2 of my rose bushes all round the root system. I first notcied the holes when my butterfly bush died section by section. It was not from poor drainage as this bed has very good drainage. The only thing I noticed were the holes from the skinks. When I dug out what was left of the bush I noticed that much of the fiberous root system was gone. Someone on the rose forum said they do eat roots. Has anyone else who has these had plant loss or damage? If so what did you do? I have these burrows around two more rose bushes and I am about to plant 7 more along this same fence section and I hate to think of all that money being wasted (these are antique roses and I have to order them online) not to mention my beautiful rose bushes being killed off one by one! I hate to kill them (it may only be 1 or 2 but I just don't know what to do and but I don't want to sit around watching them kill my roses either. Any suggestions out there? ~Meghan

Here is a link that might be useful: hennypennyrosecottage

Comments (7)

Sponsored