SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darcygarden

Tomato problem identification (w/ pics): Has anyone had Rust b4?

darcygarden
15 years ago

I am trying to identify what is wrong with my tomato plant. I have checked problem solver #2 as well as searched the internet. The only thing I can find that looks close to what is happening to my plant is the rust fungus. The research I've been able to find says that rust can be a problem along the pacific (where I live), but I can only find information on the rust fungus effecting beans. Has anyone out there had rust on a tomato plant?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

What does this look like: TOMATO SPOT PROBLEM (5 Pics)

I'm sorry to post about this again, but i found a few similar spots on one of my other tomatoes. If this is rust, then I think there is some stuff I could do now to save the plants. My other theory is that it could be Alternaria Canker because of the black powder appearing on the stems (sort of visible in one of the pics).

I will take a section into the LA extension office if I can't get it under control- but the guy at OSH just told me the wait for results could be over a month, so I'm hoping to "trial and error it" with the new spots I've found on my other tomatoes.

Here is some info I posted earlier about this plant:

-About 1.5 weeks ago I noticed the new growth was purple tinted with dark purple veins. I thought it was potassium so I used seaweed.

-a few days later I noticed what appeared to be black powder on the undersides of some of the older leaves- when I touched the stuff it was sticky. The man at the nursery said it was probably sooty black mold from the neighboring magnolia tree and it should wash off, but it didn't wash off. I tried Safer fungicide.

-today I found that the 'sooty black mold' (?) has spread all over the plant. Not only can I not wash it off, I CAN'T SCRAPE THE STUFF OFF!! The powdery looking black spots have burned into the leaves and it is on the tops of some as well as the stem.

There is no yellowing on the leaves and the black spots are TINY- seriously- the size of sand. The plant is producing tomatoes and has many flowers, though I noticed a very faint "lighter" blotch on the largest tomato (still green). Also, I would have to say the growth of the entire plant has slowed in the last few weeks.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor