SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Tall Seedling Question

TNY78
10 years ago

I've grown daylilies from seed for the past couple of years (somewhat unsuccessfully, but I have a few that are promising), but I've always grown the single form daylilies because those were the seeds I've had available...before discovering the Lily Auction last year thanks to all the enablers on GW :)

This year, since I really like the tall spider and unusual form daylilies, I thought I would experiment with them and grow some from seed myself. I have some Scandinavia and The Cow Jumped Over the Moon crosses that I started in the beginning of January. The problem I'm having is they are immediatly shooting to about 6-10 inches high, but are so thin that they are just flopping over and eventually dying. It's like they can't support their own weight. Is this normal? Any suggestions for how to get them stronger? I'm been growing them in the house on heating pads in cell trays or solo cups with holes in the bottom under grow lights.. I'm just at a loss as to what I should do :(

Tammy

Here's a couple of pics of what i'm talking about....

These are Blueberry Breakfast x Scandinavia on the left (weird combo I know), and The Cow Jumped Over the Moon x Rognvaldursson on the right.
{{gwi:657117}}

This is another group of BB x SCAN started about 2 weeks after the others
{{gwi:657120}}

This post was edited by TNY78 on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 2:05

Comments (11)