SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Do you cut and separate your tubers now, or wait til spring?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I am just wondering whether there is an advantage to separating them now. Such as, maybe if they are separate, they have a better chance of surviving the winter, as maybe if they are connected, they might all dry out, or rot together, but separately maybe they are better protected from any mutual problems(?)

But I see 3 problems with trying to separate them now:

1. It is very difficult to find eyes on them right now.

2. The tubers are all connected to humps or ridges that jut out from the stem, but in many cases, 2 or 3 tubers are connected to the same hump. I've seen 2 cases where 2 tubers are connected to the same hump, and there is an eye exactly in the middle of that hump, so it's impossible to figure out which tuber that eye belongs to.

3. There are some tubers that dont seem to be connected to a hump at all, they seem to be connected directly to the perpendicular stem, or they are connected in between humps, or underneath of the cluster. So does that mean they wont grow eyes, or will the eye grow out of the stem?

How do you cut them so that you know that an eye will form later in the spring, and how do you figure out where the eye will be? Do you just cut a large area of hump that's connected to the neck, and hope you got it right, and how do you perform that considering the 3 problems listed above?

Thanks....

Comments (5)