SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
botanical_bill

South Florida soil question

botanical_bill
15 years ago

I live in SW Florida, inland, on a freshwater lake. Some parts of my yard, when I dig, are sugar sand. Others are sand, but very compact to where I can not dig well, I have to jump on the shovel to break up the sand.

The part of my yard where I planted my avacado, clementine and lemon are in the area where its hard sand. Im just wondering if anyone else has soil like this and will the roots penitrate the hard sand or should I move the plants to the other side of the yard to where the sand is sugar like.

Ill add to the description. In the sugar area, I can just use the weight of the shovel to burry the spade. On the hard part, I have to jump on the shovel, then it breaks up into large chunks, then I have to smash or chop them up. Once that is done the sand is dry and sugar like. Im wondering if this is just a lack of roots keeping the soil broken up. The area where its hard, very little grass grows. I dont know what is the cause and effect. Grass does not grow cause its hard and compact or grass does not grow because its bad soil and I should plant elsewhere. Then I think if I put down some top soil and get some grass growing, would the roots dig down and break up the soil.

The trees were 5 and 7 gallon pots, certified varities, so they were not cheap so I want to do every thing I can to get them to grow.

What would you do, leave them or move them to the sugar sand areas?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz