SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poochella_gw

Help finding eyes and cutting tubers

Poochella
18 years ago

I took some close ups working on some clumps today. Perhaps it will help some of you hone in on those tough little tubers and get some good growers next year out of this year's harvest.

Obvious eye- looks like an unsitely pimple dead center, pale and raised bump.

45 degrees up to the right of it, see another raised lighter swelling with brown dots below. Another possible eye.

Same line 45 degrees further to edge of tuber, see another pink swelling. Another bump that may be an eye come Spring.

Straight up from the pale center eye, at the apex of tuber surrounded in crusty brown, is a depressed pink bump highlighted in two white flash dots; another potential eye.

There may be others here, but those are my best guesses on this tuber. Incidentally, this is Caproz Razbr'y Twinkle a very dark pink flower and I swear the tubers are pink toned too! Have never seen such a color on a tuber.

{{gwi:660164}}

Here's another variety still on the clump: 4-5 eyes seen as slightly raised yellow swellings and a more prominent darker swelling dead center. The neck below it is what I will include when cutting these off the clump. The tuber neck to the right has no eyes connected to it; it goes to waste. The blurry tuber to the left has a small, pale swelling. See it? That would be a candidate for harvesting. Directly above the group of eyes pale greenish is the big stalk of the dahlia plant. To the far upper right marked in blue is another obvious eye, nearly sprouting, that will become another tuber.

{{gwi:660167}}
Marked for you:

{{gwi:660169}}

Here'e another obvious one, and possibly another eye to the upper right of the blue mark. There must be a reason I chose to mark this one, instead of the more prominent noogie to the right.

{{gwi:660170}}

Here's the one next to the base of the stalk, as seen above. It isn't the most desirable tuber, skinny neck and all, but I'm going for it. The little fleshy broken tuber underneath it will be cut out later to get it out of my way.

I could have placed my blades/knife/cutting tool a bit further behind the obvious eyes, but I think this will work out. You don't want too flimsy tuber material supporting the eyes- breakage potential and all. I try to leave at least 1/3- 1/2 inch give or take.

{{gwi:660173}}

Cutting the other side of that tuber, right thru the broken necked tuber, stabbing into stem material at least 1/2 inch deep. The final cuts will be underneath after I get the broken neck mess out of the way. And on top to sever anything the two side cuts missed.

{{gwi:660175}}

The rugged looking evacuee, (but from photo 4.) A little sharp edged trimming and it will be ready to bleach, dry, sulphur, wrap and/or store.

{{gwi:660177}}

This is the other side taken from by the brown mess on the clump. Cut off all brown or rust colored icky stuff from tubers. I soaked this in bleach water a good half hour after trimming it down to nice white tissue.

{{gwi:660179}}

Final result: tidied up, labelled and ready to go.

{{gwi:660181}}

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus