SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Any tips on removing scale from citrus trees?

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

First I want to start off by apolgizing for not asking for everyone's help with my original thread. I know there are quite a few people here that have experience with bug infestations on there citrus trees.

I want to give everyone a quick background of my situation.

I first found some large scale on my Oro Blanco grapefruit tree. I hand picked them off and then checked each and every tree and then sprayed with FE. I am just kickin myself in the butt for not doing this before I brought them in, it was my intention to do this but time got the best of me. I then re checked my trees and found more scale. It had spread to my other Oro tree which like the other is just flushing with new growth and flower buds, and also to my mango tree.

I mixed up a strong spray of rubbing alcohol and water. I doused every plant in that room to try to rid them. Thursday was when I sprayed with the rubbing alcohol solution. This morning, I found scale on a couple leaves that were on one branch of my keylime tree. This tree is pretty large and it was not easy to wash and rub each and every leaf along with each branch. The worst tree of them all is the Gardenia tree. It is just so thick and lush I am really worried about trying to keep it pest free. I considered moving it to the basement for 2 days just so I could keep spraying and checking it to make sure that there are no bugs and then return it back to my grow room. I have not found any on it but trying to find it on an almost 5.5 ft tree and almost3.5ft wide tree is really hard.

I have heard of systemics that can be used to kill bugs on trees. My tangerine was treated with a systemic back in September and i think this is why there are no bugs on it. My question is will it hurt myself or others who eat the fruit after being treated with a systemic?

Also, I would like to know how long I should keep up on the spraying after I don't find the scale anymore. I was thinking if I don't see any scale for maybe 4 or 5 days, than maybe I could spray another couple times to make sure there are no eggs, and hopefully get rid of them once and for all.

Any suggestions or opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!