SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stlgal_gw

Any tips for rabbit/chipmunk removal from rose gardens?

stlgal
11 years ago

Well, I fenced in the roses, cleared as much of the brushy area they were hiding in, etc. but the bumper crop of critters is still making life difficult around here. They've invaded fencing I didn't do well enough once and nibbled some more, but I think I finally have that under control and the poor little rose babies are re-growing. But now they're going after the cone flower foliage, eating flowers and digging up petunias in the front pots and just being a general nuisance. I think it is a combination of a family of bunnies that wants to establish permanent residency in my yard and some annoying chipmunks.

So I just bought one of those Havahart traps designed for rabbits and smaller animals and I'm wondering how to optimally set it up--where to put it, what to bait it with, set it up with one door open, or both ends. I wouldn't mind catching the chippies as well as the rabbits for relocation, if we can set the trap trigger to be sensitive enough. Anyone tried this before? I have two very enthusiastic boys now out of school who will be more than happy to set and check the trap. They've already chased the rabbits around some, but that does no good as they come right back.

Comments (13)