SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
axier

Why not to trim the bud edges in T-Budding?

In the same way that when bark-grafting is recommended by several authors to trim the scion edges very lightly, I wonder why the same is not done for T-Bud.

In these excellent photos of Joe Real you understand what I mean (in this case, bark graft):

{{gwi:640057}}

{{gwi:640058}}

As Dr. Malcolm Manners says when comparing Chip Budding With T-Budding "T-budding, offers less cambium contact, since most of it peels up the cambium with the bark of the T-cut, rather than staying down on the wood"

When the used method is the traditional T-Bud way, the cambium of the bud is placed in contact with the cambium of the wood, but not with the bark cambium, where most of cambium cells are.

I understand that this is not interesting for a nursery, where they already get high success, and this would increase the labour, and consequently the costs. But, what happens when you are an amateur and you have a small budwood of a precious variety not always of good quality? In this case you have to tune the art to achieve a good success rate, it doesn't matter the time involved.

By the way, I have many years grafting, and if I have learned anything, it is that there is no 100% success with any method.

And the traditional T-Bud is not a 100% sure technique , as many say. Actually, it is a bit far from that percentage.

Lately, I have applied the technique of slight trimming edges in T-Bud (I already used it for bark grafting, but not for T-Bud) and I've improved my success rate.

Of course, I have not done a scientific study of this and I can be wrong.

Comments (13)