SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kavell

novice gardener needs immediate help!!!

kavell
17 years ago

hello everyone! i've just purchased a picea omorika pendula bruns in a 10 gallon container on thursday, april 19. the area i'd like to plant it in needs severe help. the soil looks like over baked clay: its caky and dry and never retains moisture. the town i live in (south orange) will be delivering some humus on may 22 (its a free service!!). should i wait until then to amend the soil with that and some peat moss or should i go to the garden supply center and purchase compost and peat moss and amend the soil now? i dont want the pendula to grow to unhappy in the container. or should i be doing something else?

additionally, i sprayed the area about 10 days ago with some 'round-up' to get rid of all of the weeds (how they managed to survive in that wasteland is beyond me). i also took a pitch fork to the surrounding area (where no weeds grew) to try and loosen the dirt up some.

last summer there was some sort of hornet/bee nest in the ground there. got rid of that. this year i've just noticed that there are a couple of youngsters swarming around, as if they are scouting for another home.

any information, advice and suggestions as to how to proceed that any of you can provide will be so appreciated!!! i (and my bruns) will be forever thankful...

regards,

kavell

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living