SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shyris

Meyer Lemon light help

shyris
9 years ago

First and foremost, just gotta say that I've really got no experience with houseplants. I've had a garden for years, but nothing really inside. So please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Okay, so my boyfriend got me a Meyer Lemon off craigslist for my birthday, as I've wanted one for forever. But I'm having some issues with the poor guy.

To begin with, the boyfriend didn't water it for about the two weeks or so he'd had it at his place. So it wasn't happy to begin with from that. And now the poor thing is dropping leaves like crazy. I'd been able to call the woman who had the tree before. She told me that she'd re-potted him in an organic citrus soil in the spring. (The name of the mix, or site she ordered from, escapes me at the moment.) She also said he'd lived outside all summer in full sun, and she'd hardened him off before selling him. I checked his roots, which all were nice and beige-white, and didn't seem to be suffering any rot. The woman who'd owned him before didn't experience these issues with him, but also evidently had a nice south-facing bay window he lived in all winter. So I'm thinking he's not getting enough light.

My house is nothing but north-facing windows, and to complicate matters I live in the Pacific Northwest. So it's pretty dark in my place. I'm not really able to get a full grow light set-up, so I'm looking for something I can put into a spot light with a reflector. Currently I've got it under a standard Lowes 'grow light' until I can get him something better.

In looking in the growing under lights specific forum here, I came across someone else in a similar situation, and someone recommended this light to them;
http://www.bulbamerica.com/products/compact-fluorescent-42w-120v-twist-light-bulb

I've never used grow lights before, and in trying to research different options, I've just gone and gotten myself overwhelmed and confused. Would that bulb be a viable option? Would it help my poor lil guy with some leaf re-growth? Or are CFLs even an acceptable option? I've tried reading up on more 'advanced' bulb types, and it pretty much might as well be all Greek.

My lil tree and I really just need some straightforward advice. Thanks so much for any help.
:)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022